Detailed Job Description
San Jose City College
Business and Workforce Development
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach lecture and laboratory.
- Utilize the district's computerized course prerequisite system.
- Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility and use methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter.
- Communicate subject matter clearly and correctly.
- Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
- Teach students effectively and submit and maintain appropriate office hours.
- Use appropriate preparation and organizational skills in area of assignment.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional development including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
- Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
- Meet all professional responsibilities.
- Work cooperatively within the college community with students, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Foster a professional working environment.
- Use effective and positive communication skills with staff and students.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diversity, a respect for differences and the dignity of others.
- Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
- Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings, within the work week, but not in conflict with the member's primary assignment.
- Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
- Participate in the crafting of Course and Program SLO’s.
- Direct the work of student employees as assigned.
Minimum QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any Bachelor’s degree and two years of professional experience
Any Associate's Degree AND six years of professional experience
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON EDUCATION REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Degree(s) must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and/or the U.S. Department of Education. All degrees and credits earned outside the United States must have a U.S. evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application.
1. The candidate should be able to teach classes in the following subject areas: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator), FileMaker Pro, Microsoft Projects, Google Docs, Dropbox, Mobile/Web applications and Cloud Technologies, and Desktop Publishing.
2. The candidate should have experience delivering social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and online instruction to students using websites and applications dedicated to forums that include microblogging, social networking , social bookmarking, social curation, and wikis.
3. The candidate should have the ability to communicate effectively and professionally in a classroom setting and have the background to develop courses in compliance with current technology.
4. The candidate should have outstanding presentation skills, enthusiasm, and the desire and ability to rapidly learn new technologies. Other skill sets include initiative, strong work ethic, dependability, teamwork, flexibility, creativity, time management, and self-motivation.
5. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$64,313 to $82,493 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2014-2015); Maximum Salary Potential $111,916. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.