Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Assist with all aspects of NCAA Division I men’s basketball program, including student recruitment and development, on-court coaching, contest scheduling, budget management, compliance with NCAA, and College rules and regulations, student-athlete academic achievement, and other duties assigned by the Head Coach. Additionally, the incumbent must maintain collaborative working relationships with administrators and coaches in the Department, other college offices, and appropriate relationships with members of the media, donors, and other individuals interested in the men’s basketball program.
- Assist in organizing practices and intercollegiate competitions. Teach necessary skills from the basic fundamentals to the techniques and strategies of team play
- Promote and foster a positive team environment, appropriate behavior, and sportsmanship by team members. Responsible for the conduct of team members both on and off the court.
- Promote the physical and mental well-being of all program participants.
- Assist with supporting and monitoring the academic performance of team members, including graduation from the College. Support, monitor, and evaluate the academic performance of the student-athletes participating in the sport program. Be familiar with and use the academic support referral system to assist student-athletes as needed with their academic success.
- Assist with evaluating, recruiting, and selecting qualified prospects who have the ability to compete in the classroom and athletically. Actively seek out and encourage a diverse group of prospects and assist them through the application process. Work collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Athletics for Academic Support and the Admissions Office staff to qualify and process prospects in a timely and efficient manner. Make recurring contacts by telephone, written correspondence, off-campus visits and evaluations, and coordination of campus visits as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Participate in activities to strengthen the connection between the Department of Athletics and Recreational Sports with other parts of campus. Involve your team in the life of the campus.
- Participate in activities that strengthen the relationship between the College and the community.
- Assist the Head Coach in scheduling contests and opponents, and make arrangements for the contests as assigned by the Head Coach.
- Work with the Head Coach to plan and administer team travel arrangements, including transportation, meals, and lodging.
- Assist with alumni events, fund-raising, promotional events, and college and community events as requested.
- Assist the Head Coach with inventory and care for all athletic equipment and apparel.
- Assist the Head Coach in planning and conducting practices, facility preparation, compiling physical testing data, and practice and game statistics.
- Supervise student-athletes in physical conditioning, weight lifting, individual practice sessions, physical testing, and practice and game videotape analysis.
- Assist the Head Coach with game management, including coordination of pre-game meals, facility set-up, practice activities, and videotaping games.
- Assist the Head Coach in scouting opponents, including the exchange and analysis of videotapes.
- Assist the Head Coach in organizing and coaching summer camps.
- Know, recognize, and comply with the laws, policies, rules, and regulations governing the College and its employees, and the rules of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (including, but not limited to, NCAA Bylaw, Article 11 and its requirement to report all athletically-related income and benefits from sources outside the College to the President) and the West Coast Conference as now constituted or as may be amended in the future. Immediately advise the Director of Athletics and Recreational Sports if you have reasonable cause to believe violations, whether by employees or students, have occurred or will occur.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Relevant playing and/or coaching experience at the college level
- Proficiency with word-processing software and database management.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate with a diverse community of students, faculty, coaches, administrators, and staff
- Ability to represent the Department and the College to off-campus constituencies, including alumni, friends, corporate partners, and donors
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion
- Strong organizational skills with ability to handle multiple, competing tasks, and priorities.
- Team-oriented individual with ability to take initiative.
- Understanding and supportive of the values and ideals of the Lasallian, Catholic, and liberal arts tradition.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.