Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 6/7/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Network/Systems Administrator works in a team environment to install, maintain, and configure the American Public University System (APUS) network and Windows 200X-based servers and file storage servers. This role works with a quality service approach to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, system integrity, performance and security within the work area. The incumbent works with other team members to maintain network and server infrastructure, including routers, switches, network appliances (load balancers, firewalls, etc.), Windows servers and security infrastructure.
• Provides support for production enterprise environments located in Charles Town, WV and co-location facilities, and provides support for our disaster recovery site and other branch offices.
• Provides support for additional environments (development, test, stage, prod copy, etc).
• Works with engineering team on assigned projects.
• Implements, manages and troubleshoots servers, including backup servers and their operating systems and software.
• Implements, manages and troubleshoots all network hardware and equipment including: routers, switches and uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs).
• Administers and maintains end user accounts, permissions and access rights.
• Manages updates, patches, upgrades and code deployments to ensure system availability.
• Monitors and measures performance and costs through regular reporting and summaries of the systems including availability, usage and capacity.
• Recommends, schedules, and performs network improvements, upgrades and repairs.
• Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, responds to and resolves problems affecting server performance, efficiency and availability.
• Implements new hardware and software projects and provides documentation and procedures based on functionality of the environment.
• Assists in developing enterprise network and server solutions per requirements including the creation of functional requirement documents, project plans and detailed implementation plans.
• Ensures 24x7x365 availability for identified internal mission critical network services.
• Develops and documents instructions and guidelines to perform the functions assigned.
• Performs backup, recovery and archiving duties.
• Provides backup support to other network Engineers, Systems Engineers, VOIP and PC Technicians.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Must be able to lift boxes up to 50 pounds.
• Must be flexible and agile enough to access tight spaces in IDF closets and around furniture.
• Requires less than 10% travel to data centers and branch offices at locations in the DC Metro area.
• Core coverage hours of support are Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 6:00pm but will be part of the rotating 24x7x365 on call schedule with some weekend work.
• Proven knowledge of server administration in mid-sized to large Windows 200X environments.
• Knowledge of SQL administration, Active Directory, and Citrix environments.
• Experience with networking technologies.
• Strong knowledge of installation, configuration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, performance tuning and security of MS Servers. Advanced troubleshooting skills preferred.
• Experience with Windows 200X, Active Directory, Sharepoint, SCCM.
• Knowledge of Powershell scripting preferred.
• Familiarity with routers, switches, firewalls and other network appliances.
• Ability to work independently or with other team members.
• Ability to mentor Tier 1 technicians on application issues.
• Proven judgment and demonstrated understanding of operational priorities.
• Must be flexible enough to meet the demands of a fluid and changing environment.
• Excellent problem solving abilities.
• Methodical, organized and detail oriented.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to learn new skills as needed.
• Three to seven (3 to 7) years of experience in a mid-sized to large Microsoft/Cisco environment.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems (MIS), Computer Science, Information Technology preferred or equivalent experience required.
• Experience with virtualization technologies required.
• Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within network administration required.
• Familiarity with Dell hardware and EMC storage preferred.
• Preferred certifications include MSCE, A+, I-NET+, CCNA, completion of Hyland training track.
• Additional preferred certifications include CCNP, CCIE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE+I.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.