Detailed Job Description
Under the direct supervision of the Director for Budget and Financial Planning (“Director”) and working closely with the Associate Director for Budget and Financial Planning (“Associate Director”), Controller, Director of Accounting, and other departmental staff, the Assistant Director of Financial Planning and Analysis (“Assistant Director”) serves as an integral member of the Budget Department in the development, interpretation, and analysis of Berklee College of Music's budget and financial planning information. The Assistant Director works with the Director and Associate Director to manage financial planning and analysis projects and assists in maintaining the College’s financial forecasting models, supporting the budget cycle, and in other special projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Financial Analysis and Decision Making Support
- Prepare analyses of divisional and departmental financial performance, including margin analysis of revenue producing cost centers.
- Collaborate across Berklee College of Music community to develop metrics needed to better inform forecasts, analysis, and reports.
- Leverage existing functional data to develop cross-functional reporting for executive-level decision-making.
- Develop and implement new techniques for financial analysis as required.
- Model and create scenarios to analyze options.
- Create analyses and reports to support short-term and long-term decisions.
- Special financial studies.
- Acts as key technical expert on financial analysis, issues, concerns and special projects.
- Financial Forecasting
- Develop and maintain Future Perfect™ finance model through close collaboration with the Director, Associate Director, Director of Accounting, Controller, and other members of the Berklee community.
- Report on key assumptions and perform sensitivity analysis on major drivers of the Berklee College of Music financial position.
- Vet new opportunities for alternative financial modeling solutions.
- Financial Dashboard and Website Development
- Create Finance dashboard.
- Develop and refine financial metrics for Senior Vice President website.
- Develop comparative financials that offer insight on high-level financials for a variety of audiences.
- Create visuals of data that are understandable and compelling for many different constituencies (executives, staff, faculty, alumni, students, parents).
- Budget Cycle Management and Support
- Work closely with the Director in preparation and management of the annual capital and operating budget cycle.
- Validate that appropriate sources of funding are identified and applied for capital and related non-capital projects.
- Presentation Support
- Assist in the creation of presentations for the Director and the Senior Vice President as needed.
- Develop analysis and reports for presentation purposes
- Policies & Procedures
- Recommend and implement budgetary policies, procedures, and best practices by working closely with the Director, Associate Director, Director of Accounting, Controller, and Financial Systems Manager to evaluate, implement, and enhance financial systems.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and produce materials to facilitate financial monitoring of budget-to-actuals at the local level. Work with departments in budget planning, analysis, and adjustments.
- Analyze current year, overall operating budget activity on a monthly, quarterly, annual and multi-year basis. Summarize monthly reporting package results for alternative audiences
- Excellent software program skills, especially Excel – Candidate must demonstrate the ability to utilize complex financial software applications in the tracking, modeling and analysis of financial information. Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe Pro required. Experience with Colleague and Future Perfect, as well as report writers including Informer and Synoptix is a plus. Comfort with learning new technologies.
- Must demonstrate a collaborative working style and ability to build strong relationships with internal and external representatives, at varying levels in the organization.
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to navigate new issues. Able to lead a process in a highly collaborative environment to achieve agreed-upon objectives.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive data with discretion, creatively solve problems, and both design and improve processes in an expanding operation.
- Presence to interact with Vice Presidents on a regular basis, strong presentation skills, and the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to exercise considerable judgment, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and foster effective working relationships with individuals and organizations reflecting a broad range of identities, perspectives and experiences.
- Organized, flexible, and able to prioritize/manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Ability to execute quickly as needed.
- Bachelors Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related major. CPA is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience, preferably with a strong working knowledge of accounting and financial principles and the ability to develop and analyze financial information at an institution of higher education. Experience in assessment of overhead allocation and profitability analysis helpful. Strong financial analysis expertise.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.