Detailed Job Description
Assist in the physical/operations needs of sports medicine facility under the direction of Head Athletic Trainer. Provide adequate medical coverage for assigned sports teams and visiting teams when necessary. Communicate with coaches and administration regarding the safety and well-being of student-athletes. Supervise clinical activities of student athletic trainers. Assist in providing for the total wellness of student-athletes, including drug & alcohol education, testing, health insurance coverage, CPR training, etc. Maintain organized medical records and student-athlete documentation. Travel when required with assigned sports teams.
Essential Functions, Major Duties, and/or Accountabilities:
- Provide adequate medical coverage for student-athletes on assigned sports teams in practice and competition.
- Maintain the physical and operational responsibilities of a NCAA Division I sports medicine facility.
- Coordinate the individual care of student-athletes with medical staff.
- Assess and protect the safety of the physical practice and competition environment.
- Maintain organized documentation for student-athlete's care.
- Educate and train student-athletes and athletic staff to promote health, safety, and well-being.
- Assist in the drug and alcohol education, prevention, and testing programs.
- Maintain sports medicine budgets.
- Maintain athletic training certification and CPR/AED First Aid certification.
- Assist other athletic trainers with coverage when needed.
- Communicate regularly and clearly with coaches, student-athletes, and athletic administration.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Graduate with bachelors degree from a nationally accredited athletic training program. Pass the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification examination. Current certification with the National Athletic Trainers Association, and current CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications, eligible for state of Utah licensure.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Knowledge of indications & contraindications for application of medical modalities & treatment.
-Knowledge of human anatomy & physiology bio-mechanics, correctives adaptive & human kinesiology.
-Knowledge of standard values for general health of body systems.
-Knowledge of mechanism of injury with associated acute/chronic conditions.
-Ability to cummunicate effectively.
-Ability to classify medical conditions utilizing signs/symptoms & monitor recover/update treatment protocol.
-Ability to perform emergency evaluation.
-Skill in taping, bandaging, splinting etc.
-Skill in fitting & application of equipment & medical protective devices.
-Skill in the application of electrical modalities & physical therapeutic techniques.
Selective Placement Factors
Certified, licensed or eligible to be licensed in the state of Utah
- Must be able to physically lift and carry sports medicine supplies and assist injured athletes.
- Ability to travel with sports teams and ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays when required.
- Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Uphold and abide by all NCAA regulations and Utah Valley University Institutional policies and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org