Detailed Job Description
The Utah Valley University Department of Art & Visual Communications seeks an innovative colleague to join our graphic design team. The position is full-time tenure track at the rank of Assistant or Associate professor, depending on qualifications. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate graphic design courses, mentor and motivate students to excel and create compelling work, maintain an appropriate level of peer recognition for professional graphic design work, and serve on departmental, school or university committees. If requested, must be willing to serve as area coordinator. Coordinator duties include overseeing curriculum, instruction and student activities, overseeing labs, scheduling of courses, hire train and oversee adjunct instructors and coordinate the program budget.
-MFA, MA or equivalent in communication/interaction design or related field of study. Professional design experience required.
-Three to five years of college‑level graphic design teaching experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough working knowledge of Macintosh computers required.
- Thorough working knowledge of AfterEffects and/or Cinema 4D. Experience with HTML, CSS, and Java script a plus.
- 5+ years of design agency experience with branding, typography and animation/motion required. UX/UI experience considered a bonus.
Special Instructions to Applicants
1) Letter of application indicating reasons for interest in the position, professional qualifications, research activities and courses previously taught.
2) Curriculum vitae and teaching philosophy
3) Copies of official academic transcripts.
4) Three current letters of recommendation sent directly from the reference to the department.
5) Portfolio (URL or PDF on USB drive) showcasing 10 examples of the applicant's work and 15 examples of work created by his/her students
6) SASE for return of application materials, if return is desired.
Send the portfolio and SASE (if applicable) to:
Utah Valley University
ATTN: Mr. Jim Godfrey, Graphic Design Search
Mail Stop 168
Orem, UT 84058-5999
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
-Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org