Detailed Job Description
Evergreen Valley College
Performs routine, general, custodial and maintenance tasks in the care and cleaning of assigned classrooms, offices and facilities and keeping them in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition. General supervision is provided after a training period by a Custodial Crew Supervisor, or other higher level custodial department personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sweep, scrub, mop, wash, polish and wax concrete, linoleum, tile, and wood floors; vacuum carpets;
- Dust, wash, and polish furniture and woodwork;
- Empty and clean waste receptacles;
- Wash and clean windows, walls and chalkboards;
- Clean and maintain restrooms, shower and locker rooms, cafeterias, offices and related facilities;
- Sweep sidewalks, pick up papers and clean drinking fountains;
- Polish metal work;
- Replenish supplies and fill paper and soap dispensers;
- Operate equipment such as vacuums and floor cleaning/polishing machines;
- Deliver supplies, furniture and equipment from one campus location to another;
- Turn out lights, lock doors and windows to ensure security of the buildings and restricted areas;
- Make minor repairs to furniture as needed.
- Report sanitary and safety hazards and the need for repairs to supervisor;
- Move, arrange, and set up furniture and equipment for special events and meetings;
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective methods used in general custodial/janitorial work;
- Safety methods and procedures for custodial/janitorial operations.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions specified in English;
- Perform routine repetitive tasks on a continuous basis;
- Follow schedules and procedures and work cooperatively with others;
- Lift up to 50 pounds without assistance;
- Perform tasks requiring a moderate degree of physical strength and endurance;
- Operate custodial cleaning equipment;
- Pass a complete physical examination prior to permanent appointment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be experience in building or related cleaning work or completion of formal or informal education which assures ability to read, write and speak at the level sufficient for successful job performance.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$36,413 - $44,433 Annual Salary (Range 55: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.