Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 5/6/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Organization Name: Student Health Center
Performs a variety of medical procedures at a skilled professional level.
Performs a variety of medical procedures at a skilled professional level. Provides professional medical assistant or paramedic functions and support service to the physicians, NP’s, PA’s and RN’s by screening patients, and assisting with exams and procedures. Supervision received: shall be accountable to SHC Office Manager and Nursing Coordinator.
Examples of Work:
Employee must possess a clear knowledge of and competence in the following:
• Assess patient’s chief complaint and obtain vital signs.
• Assist on duty RN in performance of all necessary opening and closing procedures.
• Respond to phone calls from students who have medical questions. Obtain guidance from RNs, NPs, PA’s or MDs in clinic as needed.
• Care for students requiring first aid and/or routine illnesses not needing a registered nurse, physician or nurse practitioner’s attention.
• Instruct and prepare patients for examination and diagnostic procedures.
• Assist in examination and special procedures to include, but not limited to:
• Injections, diagnostic procedures, minor surgery procedures (i.e. removal of stitches), IV insertion and administration of fluids (paramedic only), orthopedic splinting (paramedic only) and other special tasks; phlebotomy skills HIGHLY desirable.
• Assist and/or implement the referral process, provide patient education, advise patient on self care, needed follow up and suggested behaviors.
• Maintain the stock, cleanliness and utility of exam rooms, equipment and work areas. Must assure the sterility and safe handling of supplies and equipment. Is responsible for the maintenance of properly functioning equipment.
• Ability to handle emergent and/or potentially critical situations with speed, accuracy and diplomacy.
• Know correct procedure for all medical paper work and electronic health record including, but not limited to, lab work and log sheets, immunization program, drug screening, and special lab tests.
• Must assure patient privacy at all times and maintain patient confidentiality.
• Must assure the protection of self, patients, and co-workers from undue exposure to contaminated waste and hazardous materials.
• Blood borne pathogen trained.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Performance of Job Duties:
• Performs all duties in an accurate, thorough, and efficient manner.
• Performs other duties as required.
• Is able to organize workflow to meet the needs of the patient flow.
• Is able to adjust the workflow to meet the most critical needs first.
• Understands and follows policies as outlined in the office manual.
• Understands and displays good general medical knowledge.
• Has good interpersonal skills and is able to communicate effectively at all times.
• Works well with family members, patients and other non-medical personnel.
• Adheres to the highest medico-legal standards of clinical practice.
• Works as a team member, demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills with SHC team.
• Upholds the mission of University of San Diego at all times.
• Shall maintain a clean, neat and professional appearance at all times.
• Consistently meets assigned work schedule.
• Observes appropriate conduct standards.
• Is motivated and shows ambition in performing job duties.
• Recognizes and completes needed projects.
• Uses information systems to solve problems and answer questions.
• Shows emotional stability.
• Deals with difficult situations in a calm and effective manner.
• Knows when to bring a medical problem to the attention of the Nursing Coordinator, Supervising Physician and/or Director.
• Completion of an accredited training program for Medical Assistants or Paramedics and any related credentials.
• Prior experience desirable.
• CPR certificate
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Upon hire and throughout employment, must meet the criteria for credentialing and privileging as required by the Student Health Center.
• Employment is conditioned on the University’s approval of employment following its acceptance of the results of a criminal background investigation. Regardless of whether a candidate has commenced working, the University reserves the right to rescind any offer of employment at any time should the results of a background investigation be unacceptable to the University.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: $19.75 - $22.47 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 per hour
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit http://www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
How To Apply
Click http://apptrkr.com/788663 to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.