Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform routine day or evening custodial activities at an assigned school campus or other assigned District facility; maintain buildings and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school campus or District facility during a day or
evening shift; sweep, scrub, mop, wax and polish floors; vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices and other areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets.
- Clean classrooms, lounges, offices and other facilities as assigned; empty waste receptacles; spot mop and shampoo spills; remove gum, debris and graffiti as needed.
- Clean and disinfect drinking fountains and restroom facilities including sinks, toilets and urinals;
replenish dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and other items; clean mirrors, tile and windows.
- Replace light bulbs and tubes; clean chalkboards and erasers; empty pencil sharpeners.
- Dust and polish furniture, fixtures and woodwork; perform minor repairs to furniture as needed.
- Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to
established guidelines; set and disengage alarms as appropriate.
- Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report need for maintenance repairs;
respond to emergency custodial requests as needed.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment; prepare classrooms, gym and multi-purpose rooms for special events or meetings; set-up chairs, tables, bleachers and other furniture and equipment for special events or meetings; clean up furniture equipment and debris following these events.
- Operate custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber machines, blowers and other equipment.
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance. Any combination equivalent to: at least six months related experience.
- Participate in the thorough cleaning and restoration of campus facilities during vacation periods as
- Perform minor grounds maintenance duties as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial work.
- Modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning floors, blackboards, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Requirements of maintaining District buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or other District facility.
- Maintain District buildings and adjacent grounds in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operate a variety of custodial equipment, such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber.
- Maintain tools and equipment in clean working order.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings and special events.
- Observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
- Perform minor non-technical repairs.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Meet the essential physical function of this job which is the ability to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Successful completion of a fitness for duty physical including drug screen.
Environment – Indoor and outdoor work environment. Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
Physical demands – Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned essential functions of this job description are essential physical requirements.
Hazards – Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals. Working on ladders.
$1,049.61 per month
$1,483.06 per month (maximum entry $1,049.61 per month)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It shall be the policy of the Kern Community College District that equal opportunity to seek, obtain, hold, and advance in employment in the District shall be afforded to all who qualify without discrimination because of race, color, ethnic group identification, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex (gender), sexual orientation, age, and/or physical or mental disability. Appropriate qualifications for the performance of specific duties are the basic criteria for the employmentand promotion of personnel. Additional efforts will be made to recruit, develop, and to promote qualified members of groups that are underrepresented in the District workforce, even if that under-representation cannot be traced to particular discriminatory actions on the part of the District.If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact the Human Resources Department at (661) 336-5141.