Detailed Job Description
Position: One or more Instructor or Assistant Instructor (Lead Teacher) positions in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education and Human Services, Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Responsibilities include serving as a Lead Teacher in the Southern Region Early Childhood Programs with three and four year old children in a prekindergarten classroom.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Early Childhood Education; Child Development; Child and Family Services; Elementary Education with preschool or kindergarten experience; or a related field of study with preschool or kindergarten experience. The Early Childhood Special Education endorsement and/or Bilingual endorsement are strongly preferred as are Advanced Degrees. Master's degree is required for appointment at rank of Instructor.
- The position requires a Professional Educator License with an endorsement in Early Childhood Education. (The Early Childhood Special Education approval and/or Bilingual Endorsement are strongly preferred.)
- Philosophical orientation consistent with developmentally appropriate educational practices as defined by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. Knowledge of Creative Curriculum and/or Teaching Strategies GOLD is strongly preferred.
- Contributions to professional organizations at the local, state, and national levels are preferred.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Duties of the Position:
- Serve as a model of early childhood professionalism through interactions with the children, parents, and staff members, teaching practices, planning, and involvement in professional activities.
- Work in partnership with team teacher within the prekindergarten classroom.
- Participate in the development of family involvement and family literacy programs.
- Participate in training and/or university coursework as needed and required.
- Collaborate in Child Find activities.
- Demonstrate participation in professional activities.
- Maintain a system of performance assessment reflective of the development of children through ongoing observations and the collection of portfolio information reflective of the development of each child.
- Serve as a liaison between the school district and the Southern Region Early Childhood Programs.
- Cooperate in the collection of evaluation and research information.
- Participate in the annual performance review.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
This is a term, non-Tenure-Track appointment from September 1, 2015 through May 15, 2016. Reappointment is contingent on performance, programmatic need and availability of funding.Application Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.