Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 6/3/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Job ID: 2583 - Unclassified - FT (Salaried)
The Director of Dining Services provides leadership, direction, and vision to coordinate and manage the self-operated and self-supporting dining operations consisting of 4 buffet operations, 18 retail locations, 8 restaurant-style operations, and 5 markets. The Director ensures all areas of the food service program operates with the highest standards of safety and sanitation, quality of service, healthy and on-trend menus; while optimizing efficient and effective operational and financial performance.
• Responsible for menu planning and development. Remains abreast of new trends in the food service industry and institutions of higher education.
• Maintains best practices in training and development of staff.
• Ensures proper standards of sanitation, food handling, and safety.
• Drives superior customer service through effective use of customer surveys and student focus groups.
• Develops business and marketing plans for Dining Services.
• Develops performance goals and metrics and implements changes accordingly for the successful operation of Dining Services.
• Effectively leads a diverse work force.
• Develop and implement short and long range planning for equipment and facility needs.
• Oversees the sanitation program including ensuring all local and state regulations are met and exceeded.
• Reviews hiring, training and discipline of all dining service employees; and models customer service behavior and standards in all areas.
• Maintains positive working relationship with employees, customers and university staff; and works closely with academic areas on joint endeavors and the provision of opportunities for academic experiences.
• Assures fiscal responsibility in budgeting, purchasing, inventory control, food preparation and service, and the use of labor and supplies.
• Develops and administers operating budgets and provides required financial reports.
• Assists management in the establishment of à la carte pricing for all campus retail food service operations and within these retail locations in the determination of product mix, promotions, specials, sales strategies.
• Provides leadership in the design and layout of food service facilities.
• Oversees the sanitation program, and monitors inspections by departmental personnel, as well as county and state agencies. HACCP principles are applied as required and sanitation training is provided for all food service staff. The Director works with unit managers to maintain high sanitation standard.
• Works with the university's Industrial Hygiene and Safety Coordinator and other appropriate individuals to monitors safety standards within the units.
• The position works with the Manager of Training and Development and other appropriate staff members to provide training in all areas including culinary skills, safety, sanitation, and other areas to enhance job development and personal growth.
• Oversees the planning and implementation of multiple menu options used in the dining halls and at à la carte food service locations, recommending menus that will provide a high degree of satisfaction for student diners.
• Establishes and maintains purchasing procedures that satisfy legal and ethical standards established by the university and that support the department's commitment to provide quality products at reasonable prices.
• Oversees the administration of satisfaction surveys and establishes policies and procedures for the distribution of survey results and regularly reviews customer feedback obtained through written comments and suggestions, from surveys and questionnaires, and from the Secret Shopper program.
• Oversees the department's nutrition education program and supports efforts to provide foods for students with special dietary needs.
• Directly supervises a management team of five and through them, provides leadership to approximately 200 staff, and indirectly supervises over 1300 student staff.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Service Management, Dietetics, Hospitality, Culinary Arts or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
• Eight or more years of executive/senior level management experience in a complex food service operation including residential, retail, and restaurant-style operations with over $12 million in annual revenue.
• Demonstrated success in creating and implementing innovative programming.
• Thorough knowledge of budgeting, financial statements and the principles of staff scheduling, cost control, and inventory control.
• Experience in developing and managing efficient and effective staffing models to support both peak and lesser demand periods in all operations.
• Demonstrated experience in managing sustainability and local food initiatives.
• Demonstrated experience in the development of both short-term and long-term financial plans with clear accountability at all management levels.
• Demonstrated supervisory, leadership, and human resource management experience to effectively administer and manage within a diverse and complex organization including recruitment, hiring, evaluating, training, and safety programs.
• Related food service operations management experience in a high volume, high quality, diverse multi-unit operation including but not limited to; financial and labor management, best practices and bench-marking, menu development, and technology information systems (point of sale, menu management system), equipment procurement, maintenance and repair, policy and procedure development, food production, handling and storage, quality control, health and safety, marketing and merchandising.
• Master’s degree in Restaurant Management, Business, Hospitality, or related field.
• Ten years of executive/senior level management experience in a complex, multi-faceted, university dining service operation.
• Progressive, forward thinking leader with a full understanding of emerging culinary trends, from-scratch cooking, residential special event programming, and student employment.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation or resources and accountability for diversity outcomes.
• Experience with working collaboratively with a diverse set of stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students and co-workers from a variety of ethnicity, cultures, and socio-economic backgrounds.
• Possess working knowledge of software systems, C-Bord Food Service Suite, Micros POS, Kronos, and Banner.
• Basic knowledge of food allergens, nutrition, and food safety.
• Experience in Lean methodology.
• Experience working in a unionized environment.
• Record of achievement in delivering outstanding student focused service as evidenced by NACUFS awards, national benchmarks, or other recognized satisfaction surveys.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.