Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 4/7/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Human Resources Generalist serves a consultative role for management and employees on human resources-related issues. This position works closely with senior HR management in supporting the organization and carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, training, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation, and employment law compliance.
• Consults with management, providing HR guidance when appropriate.
• Manages and resolves tier one, as well as moderate to complex employee relations issues.
• Assists with employee investigations.
• Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with the legal department as needed/required.
• Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to management (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
• Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
• Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
• Collaborates with the Training and Development Specialist to identify training needs across the organization, as well as participates in and supports training initiatives.
• Maintains the employee handbook with updated resolutions and other pertinent information, as needed.
• Handles tier one employee relations counseling, outplacement processesing and exit interviewing.
• Prepares quarterly reporting on turnover, employee exit data, and other HR metrics for business units and HR leadership. Presents solutions or recommendations to HR leadership as approrpriate.
• Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed.
• Maintains Human Capital Management (HCM) system records and compiles reports from the database.
• Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment. Processes unemployment paperwork, attends initial fact-finding hearings, and prepares necessary information to support the organization.
• Administers employee recognition and service awards program.
• Assists with new employee orientation.
• Facilitates the assimilation of new employees to the organization within their first 90 days by overseeing the class reunion program.
• Oversees and monitors the performance appraisal system and revises as necessary.Additionally, assists with the process to include: training, reporting, responding to employee and manager questions, and review of documents to ensure they are legally sound.
• Ensures human resources policies and procedures are communicated and adhered to; periodically conducts in-service training on new or updated policies that affect employees.
• Records, processes and maintains employee records related to federal regulations such as FLSA, EEO and ADA.
• Collaborates with the Benefits Team on employee benefits questions, processes, leave requests, ADA accommodation requests, vendor/carrier communication, etc.
• Serves as the main point of contact for navigating employee relations issues that also touch benefits, such as FMLA, ADA, Worker’s Compensation, COBRA, etc.
• Supports the Benefits Team during annual open enrollment period, up to and including project management responsibilities to ensure programs and communications are effective and available to all benefits-eligible employees.
• Approves classification changes, promotions, salary adjustments or increases, etc. within HCM system, ensuring internal processes are followed.
• Assists with, and sometimes oversees, the coordination of organization wide employee morale events.
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV with some travel to Manassas, VA office.
• Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of human resources.
• Outstanding presentation skills and the ability to present information to groups of varying sizes and backgrounds.
• Superior relationship-building, interpersonal, and problem solving skills.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Well-developed team skills, unquestioned integrity, and the experience, confidence and presenceto effectively handle interpersonal relationships and sensitive HR issues.
• Experience with standard office software and human capital management, preferably UltiPro.
• Proactive, flexible, and comfortable in a fast-paced, changing environment, which demands a high level of energy and commitment.
• Proficiency with MS Office products.
• Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field required; Master’s degree or human resources certification such as SHRM-CP/SCP, PHR/SPHR, or CEBS strongly preferred.
• Minimum three years’ human resources experience required working in an exempt level position requiring significant discretion and consultative skill in an employee relations, benefits or management role.
• Previous management experience strongly preferred.
• Experience managing moderate to complex personnel issues required.
Competencies Critical to this Position:
•Acquires information and understands the business.
•Strategic thinking, change and innovation.
•Complex problem solving skills.
•Planning and monitoring for results.
•Rational decision making.
•Communication & Influencing.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.