Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 6/2/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Manager, Public Relations supports the associate vice president (AVP) of public relations in planning, implementing and reporting on a variety of communications functions and programs including, but not limited to: press materials, Web content, and earned/social media relations. This role works with internal clients and external vendors to assist in leveraging press announcements, speaking engagements, industry awards, and related vehicles to enhance American Public University System’s (APUS) industry visibility and reputation with targeted trade media. Additionally, the manager, public relations selects, implements, and manages tools used by the public relations team such as media monitoring and outcomes tracking.
*Please include a cover letter and attach a writing sample or provide a link in your resume.*
• Works with University faculty and staff to support the AVP in establishing APUS as a global thought leader with prospective students, peer institutions and other stakeholders via programs which support the University's growth initiatives.
• Works with cross-functional team members to identify opportunities to leverage their initiatives and channels to build APUS awareness and reputation, including working with both student and alumni ambassadors, as assigned.
• Utilizes current content streams for APUS community to create/curate share worthy stories for consumption and engagement/sharing.
• Deepens/expands PR content-sharing relationships with target external communities; showcase APUS experts and cross-promote with APUS properties.
• Continually identifies trending and strategic topics for reputation-building; pitch to external media, partners, and consumer outlets such as online/offline events, and social communities (e.g. LinkedIn).
• Pursues and promotes high-value industry/sector awards, rankings, affiliations and speaking venues which best support core focus areas and align with associated consumers.
• Complements earned media placements with new reciprocal content-sharing outlets aligned with established academic centers of excellence and emerging growth programs.
• Helps build relationships with and coach executives to create spokespersons for thought leadership.
• Identifies and expands faculty subject matter experts (SME); closely collaborates with content and social marketing channels to leverage and expand SME visibility.
• Increases media spotlight and social promotion of successful student outcomes via APUS community and target social audiences.
• Serves as the project manager in support of the AVP for the president’s blog, social media presence and APUS newsroom on the public web, identifying and publishing/tagging content, monitoring metrics, and gauging and recommending best practices in search optimization.
• Responsible for the weekly In the News email, identifying content, researching for accuracy, composing the content, and issuing the email according to a defined schedule. Also oversees improvements in presentation, content, and connection with Academics systems such as Faculty Connect and Digital Measures.
• Identifies public relations team media monitoring technology and social media distribution needs and researches available solutions. In tandem with AVP and Interactive Marketing team, responsible for daily/weekly ongoing APUS social media content calendar, including LinkedIn, Facebook and PR team Twitter accounts.
• In tandem with the AVP, proactively creates opportunities to communicate APUS news, messages and story ideas through establishing and cultivating relationships with traditional and new media reaching target audiences.
• Coordinates responses to editorial calendars and daily reporter requests, offering relevant experts and ideas.
• Helps create and distribute news releases, prepares media pitches, and coordinates pre-briefing and media training for designated spokespersons.
• In coordination with the AVP, establishes and cultivates relationships with online media influencers, pitching University experts, messages and stories for potential placement.
• Assists in identifying APUS thought leadership that aligns to business goals and leverages it internally and externally.
• Helps cultivate relationships with subject matter experts and other staff information resources, identifying initiatives to promote and news opportunities to pitch to media.
• Coordinates development, approvals and distribution of press releases, bylined articles, internal communications, award submissions, FAQ’s and related documents as assigned by the AVP.
• Coordinates monitoring, evaluating and reporting of results and activities to executives and staff to support the AVP in providing actionable data for planning and prioritizing future initiatives, celebrating successes and recommending appropriate changes in strategic direction.
• Serves on the content practice group, attending weekly meetings and making regular contributions for content development and marketing.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard Monday-Friday office environment in Manassas, VA.
• Position infrequently requires evening and weekend hours when events and project deadlines arise.
• Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, APUS stories to media and other external audiences.
• Must be able to work directly with individuals and teams across the University, including the president and other leadership, to apply public relations expertise to address issues and solve challenges.
• Demonstrated experience and results in media relations and content management.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing public relations campaigns that successfully build positive brand awareness.
• Solid project management skills, including successful experience in requirements gathering, prioritization, reporting and implementation.
• Experience applying sound decision-making to effectively address complex and critical issues.
• Strong work ethic, accountability and self-motivation. • Strong analytical, research, organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work across multi-functional teams, while utilizing strong interpersonal and judgment skills to influence both internal and external team members.
• Highly effective writing, presentation, analysis and negotiating skills.
• Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, marketing, or similar concentration.
• Minimum of three to five (3 – 5) years of communications experience, preferably in an agency, high-growth industry, public company and/or higher education institution.
• Success in developing and implementing new media initiatives required.
• Experience in collaborating with cross-functional teams required.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.