Detailed Job Description
Under the broad supervision of the Manager of Faculty Technology Services and the direct supervision of the CTMI Lab Manager, the CTMI Lab Monitor is responsible for the daily operations of the CTMI (Center for Technology in Music Instruction) Lab Facility including: first-level support for all faculty support requests from email, phone, walk-in and TR database submissions, managing all Faculty Technology Services trouble tickets in the TR ticket database, execution of lab maintenance programs for lab equipment and workstations, scheduling of lab resources, monitoring CTMI student employees to ensure they are supporting CTMI operational goals.
In addition to monitoring the CTMI, this individual acts as second level support for Faculty Technology Services personnel to accomplish the broader goals of Faculty Technology Service and Academic Technology. A specialized knowledge is required in a wide range of software and hardware solutions, audio equipment and electronic musical instruments in order to provide assistance for faculty.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the CTMI Lab Manager to ensure the effective operation of the CTMI Lab facility. Executes all daily operational duties including: performing maintenance programs, updating lab workstations, building and maintaining lab software images and packages, updating databases for tracking facility use and software and hardware allocations, monitoring equipment testing and checkout procedures. Schedule and sign out CTMI portable equipment and materials to faculty. Responsible for the security of the CTMI, its equipment and software. Ensures that the lab and its workstations are clean, presentable and in working condition at all times. Makes sure CTMI signage and displays are functional and up to date.
- Responsible for all faculty technology support in Faculty Technology Services. Serves as first-level support and initial point of contact for all faculty support requests from email, phone, walk-in and TR database submissions. Manages all Faculty Technology Services trouble tickets in the TR ticket database and assigns tickets to appropriate personnel and student employees. Maintains a high degree of responsiveness to customers after the initial contact by informative follow-ups until a solution is achieved. Ensures tickets are closed in a timely manner with accurate information and updates.
- Assist faculty with the general use of the CTMI by providing faculty with assistance and training pertaining to the use of the installed equipment, software and technologies in the CTMI.
- Provides support for Faculty Technology Services training initiatives and events.
- Support faculty with college issued computers and general college software as well as specific audio, video, internet, e-mail, graphic and web-design software, and directing them to specific resources such as manuals, tutorials, videos and other available support materials.
- Works with the CTMI Lab Manager to develop and provide specific support and training materials in printed and electronic formats for the CTMI lab equipment including portable computers.
- Install college authorized and licensed software for faculty when needed. Confirms that installations are done accurately and that software runs properly. Maintain a record of installs and authorizations to ensure compliance with licensing agreements using college software management system.
- Assist and train faculty on the installation, set-up, troubleshooting, and connection of their computers to the network and servers both on campus and remotely.
- Assist with new faculty hire training and orientation sessions.
- Resolve computer lab network problems through cooperation with the Network and Telecommunications department.
- Recommend to CTMI Lab Manager purchases of training material based on faculty requests and necessity.
- Recommend to CTMI Lab Manager ways of improving lab efficiency and CTMI customer experience.
- Monitors CTMI student employees and reports to CTMI Lab Manger. Delegates specific tasks as required for daily operation of CTMI Lab, and ensures CTMI is appropriately staffed.
- Maintain, schedule and perform data backup of CTMI data and images.
- Stay current with existing and emerging computer technologies, training methods and delivery.
- Work in conjunction with the Student Computer Support Center to coordinate the distribution of software and operating systems to staff and faculty BLPP owners.
- Documents all lab procedures and processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be extremely reliable, good interpersonal skills, punctual, detail–oriented and well–organized to assist with various Faculty Technology Services projects and faculty assistance.
- Supervisory ability with some managerial experience preferred.
- Persuasive interpersonal communication and follow up skills to assist and train college faculty with computer and technology issues associated with their jobs.
- Excellent organizational skills are required.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, and remain composed under pressure to meet necessary deadlines.
- Professional phone and writing skills.
- The ability to quickly learn existing and emerging computer technologies.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop & maintain effective working relationships with individuals & organizations reflecting a broad range of identities, perspectives & experiences.
- Bachelors Degree in Music preferred or 2 years experience in related field
- A high level of computer literacy and knowledge of music computer lab installations and functions.
- Previous experience in a computer lab setting using networked desktop computer systems and printers.
- A broad understanding of electronic musical instruments, video and audio equipment.
- Specialized knowledge of various software products in Macintosh and Windows environments, including but not limited to: audio and MIDI recording, editing, sequencing and notation; spreadsheets, word processing, database; graphics, page layout, personal information managers; web browsers, e-mail applications, web page authoring, FTP technologies; printing, scanning; data, audio and video backup, duplication, synchronization and transfer; firewire, USB, CD and DVD technologies, video sequencing, editing, duplication and synchronization.
- Specialized knowledge of the functions and operations of the desktop and portable computers, peripherals, and printers used at the College, in order to provide faculty with requested hardware and software training and support.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP, Ethernet and Wireless networking protocols.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications hardware and software in order to assist faculty with remote access to the college network.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.