Detailed Job Description
Research and Institutional Effectiveness
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Research & Institutional Effectiveness, assist with planning, designing, conducting and interpreting research projects for the evaluation of District-wide operational and program performance
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with developing institutional research studies, analyzing research results, designing and producing reports; assure accuracy and timely completion of projects.
- Design and/or prepare a variety of survey and evaluation tools.
- Design and prepare a variety of written and statistical reports, both recurring and new, in a timely manner and in a variety of presentation formats and publications.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Institutional Research related web pages on the District Intranet.
- Disseminate research information, written reports, statistical tables and charts, and survey data to administrators, faculty, staff, Board members, State agencies, other colleges and interested individuals.
- Assist in designing spreadsheets, statistical tables and associated graphics using appropriate computer software.
- Collect, compile and assemble statistical data, including college, District, regional, State and national.
- Assist colleagues on composing, preparing, editing and proofing other office research documents, reports, memos, and correspondence prior to campus-wide and District-wide distribution.
- Establish and maintain databases related to student success including retention, persistence, course completion, placement and others.
- Assist with other college studies including studies of transfer rates, transfer readiness, institutional effectiveness and student satisfaction.
- Maintain current knowledge of District and external data resources and research and statistical tools and techniques.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge related to complex data retrieval systems and database processing hardware and software.
- Maintain currency and high knowledge level of research techniques, reporting requirements and trends in institutional research.
- Maintain departmental files and records.
- Respond to requests, working with requesters to clarify their needs and optimize the utility of research results.
- Assist in the design and implementation of accountability and evaluation data related to grants such as Title III at EVC and SJCC.
- As a member of the office team, answer phones, take messages, mail, assist the director as needed.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Statistics, statistical applications, collection and correlation of data.
- Advanced research techniques and statistical methods.
- Current management information systems software including database, spreadsheet and graphic display.
- Advanced formula and macro usage in spreadsheets and databases.
- Information display and presentation techniques.
- Proper English usage, spelling, grammar, punctuation, editing and proofreading techniques.
- Administrative office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Computer programming languages.
- Various web page design software and graphics products.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate software for special projects
- Set up a database for projects with a view to the data’s relationship to the total project goals and the outputs required.
- Utilize language skills to read, analyze and interpret statistical reports, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Write reports, business correspondence and procedures manuals.
- Present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, program coordinators and the general public.
- Utilize mathematical skills to apply concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Utilize reasoning to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in mathematics or a field related to the position and two years of experience in a related field.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$56,900- $69,428 Annual Salary (Range 100: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.