Detailed Job Description
Under the direction and supervision of the Director, Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Advisor contributes to the efficient and responsive operation of the WITC Financial Aid program. This position provides important processing, support, and student assistance with financial aid at the Ashland campus and Collegewide support for processing functions.
- Understand and apply all state and federal regulations pertaining to the application for and distribution of student financial aid.
- Understand and apply formulas used to determine individual student eligibility for financial aid programs.
- Explain technical or complicated information concerning individual financial aid eligibility/awards in an informed and sensitive manner.
- Explain and communicate related district policies and procedures to students, parents, federal/state agencies, and/or other external sources.
- Participate in professional organizations related to this area and work to enhance personal knowledge of student financial aid administration.
- Monitor and supervise assigned work of work-study, temporary, call-staff, or WITC staff assigned to assist the Financial Aid Office.
- Process and complete financial aid applications through PeopleSoft. This includes but is not limited to receiving and verifying all required supporting documentation, determination of aid eligibility, determination of program eligibility, satisfactory progress, and verification. Use professional judgment to make decisions regarding further clarification or verification of student FAFSA information.
- Calculate and process individual customized aid packages for all eligible applicants using PeopleSoft. Create and build student budgets, create student terms, determine financial need, and award all eligible aid including grants, loans and work-study. Verify aid awarded and post directly to student accounts.
- Monitor enrollment and re-package aid due to enrollment status changes, work-study revisions, program changes, loan changes, etc.
- Monitor all outside funding sources such as employer funding, CEP, DVR, and scholarships and revise awards as necessary.
- Enter all WITC Foundation Scholarships into PeopleSoft and post awards to student accounts.
- Use college loan limit guidelines and approve or deny requests for additional student loans.
- Work with students with complex questions regarding their student account.
- Work with campus business office technician to ensure proper distribution of all financial aid and respond to student inquiries.
- Act as the veteran’s liaison officer on campus by understanding and applying all of the state and federal regulations pertaining to the enrollment of veterans who are eligible for educational benefits. Counsel and advice veterans regarding program choices and VA eligibility.
- Develop materials for use in financial aid presentations. Give presentations on financial aid to specific groups when appropriate
- Advise and explain the financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy to students and staff. Advise students regarding their options and consequences when they are on warning or suspension.
- Assist with the coordination of the Federal work-study employment program.
- Perform Return of Title IV calculations of students who withdraw from enrollment (very detailed computations performed).
- Assist in the development of office procedures and policies.
- Develop and implement procedures necessary to create and maintain a system of records which recognizes the need for confidentiality of the information.
1. Two years related post-secondary education/training or five years related business experience, OR a combination of related education and work experience totaling five years.
2. Ability to provide a high level of customer service under stressful conditions.
3. Ability to interpret and apply laws, rules and policies affecting financial aid programs.
4. Strong computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills in working with a variety of constituencies including students, faculty and staff.
Salary Hiring Range
$15.28 – $16.46 hourly
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Your application will be considered complete when we have received a completed online application, a cover letter addressing all of the qualifications for this position, a resume, and original or copies of official or unofficial college transcripts. If you have noted an educational degree on your application, WITC requests transcripts to support your degree. Official transcripts are required prior to an offer of employment. Please mail transcripts, if unable to scan, to Human Resources:
505 Pine Ridge Drive
Shell Lake WI 54871
Please include the posting number on the envelope to facilitate the processing of your application.
WITC is an Equal Opportunity/Access Employer and Educator.