Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 4/12/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Technical Support Specialist is responsible for desktop and remote user support for American Public University System (APUS) staff, both on-site and remote. This role serves as a first-touch response and support for all end users.The technical support specialist provides training to end users, performs diagnosis, trouble-shooting, and break-fix support for all desktop platforms. The incumbent oversees setup, configuration, and roll-out of equipment for new users, as well as provides upgrade services and relocation and configuration moves for existing users.Additionally, the technical support specialist recommends, researches, and implements new hardware and software solutions for end users. Detailed communication to management and engineering staff is required. This role works in a team environment supporting applications, development, and production systems operations; and escalates network, server, and application issues to the assigned team members.
• Assists all users and students with their questions about any of our supported software and computing platforms to the best of his/her ability in a professional and courteous manner.
• Displays good analysis and problem solving skills; accurately analyzes a situation and utilizes creative problem solving.
• Provides initial diagnosis of computer related software and hardware issues and resolves computer related issues.
• Creates and manages user accounts and access within policies to ensure optimal productivity.
• Troubleshoots and resolves end-user issues related to enterprise applications.
• Receives, logs, documents, appropriately routes, and tracks Help Desk problem or inquiry calls and service calls from University wide users and students.
• Documents and maintains Help Desk operations and procedures.
• Helps to maintain an inventory of University technology assets.
• Ensures compliance with University technology policies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV. Availability to work in Manassas, VA office location as needed.
• Must have the ability to move and lift equipment up to 50 pounds.
• Core business hours are 8:30am- 5:00pm. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
• Expertise in the support of Microsoft desktop operating systems (XP and Win7).
• Ability to diagnose software and hardware problems.
• Experience with Active Directory, Group Policy, and Citrix.
• Ability to support core Microsoft applications.
• Ability to provide technical support by e-mail, phone, remote assistance, and face-to-face; professional demeanor and excellent communications skills are required.
• Good problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to work efficiently in a dynamic, expanding environment, both with and without direct supervision.
• Ability to learn the fundamentals of all software products used at the University.
• Ability to follow established workflow within the University’s Help Desk.
• Accurate reporting skills and attention to detail.
• Understanding of fundamental computer networking technologies.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in an environment similar to APUS.
• Minimum three years of experience in desktop support with multiple access methods.
• Experience supporting desktops in a Citrix environment.
• Basic networking knowledge required.
• Previous customer service experience highly desirable.
• A+ and Microsoft certifications preferred.
• Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certification preferred.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.