Detailed Job Description
Appointment Date: April 1, 2016
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Facilities Management, Building Construction, Business Administration, or related field.
- A minimum of seven years of responsible administrative and management experience in facilities planning, design and construction and/or facilities maintenance and management; experience at an educational institution is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in personnel supervision in a related field.
- Strong management skills, particularly problem-solving and decision-making, and communication skills are required.
- Knowledge of craft union jurisdictions and experience working in a highly unionized environment preferred.
- Appropriate professional certification preferred.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Responsibilities: The Director of Plant and Service Operations is the chief administrator of the Plant and Service Operations unit. This unit centralizes PSO Information Technology, PSO Accounting, PSO Personnel/Payroll, PSO Administration and the Physical Plant. Reporting Physical Plant areas include Building Maintenance, Engineering Services, Planning, Space Management, Materials Management, Grounds, Building Services, Campus Utilities, and the Power Plant. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate the administration of units reporting to Plant and Service Operations to ensure efficient results that coincide with the University's mission and facilities plan.
- Formulate major policies and procedures, as well as long-range and short-range plans for operating units.
- Coordinate the delivery of essential customer and facility services by organizing the units within Plant and Service Operations in an effective manner which best supports the campus in serving the students.
- Serve as the fiscal officer for the operation units. Provide fiscally responsible management. Recommend rate adjustments necessary to ensure the financial integrity of the operating units.
- Evaluate personnel performance and staffing needs for Plant and Service Operations units.
- Maintain good working relationships with represented employees. Represent management in the negotiation of union contracts.
- Routinely inspect construction projects, buildings, grounds and related areas and equipment for safety, function, efficiency, quality, and compliance with all codes and regulations.
- Facilitate the development of an overall plan for repairs and renovations of University buildings and facilities; understand the impact of repairs and/or renovations on existing mechanical, electrical, structural, and related systems, and recommending the appropriate priorities for repairs and renovations.
- Work with others to help ensure that the conditions of plans and specifications on construction projects are met by contractors.
- Ensure that all University facilities are maintained in a manner which provides a clean and safe environment.
- Manage campus utilities with a focus on efficient use of energy resources.
- Develop and direct contingency plans for extraordinary grounds and maintenance efforts under emergency conditions.
- Perform duties that may require strenuous lifting, bending, climbing or walking, as well as exposure to inclement weather, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Plant and Service OperationsApplication Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.