Detailed Job Description
Job ID: 2366 - SATSS - FT
Performs complex to advanced administrative and clerical tasks related to overseeing and monitoring the operations of the Miami University Libraries Technical Services Department.
As a member of the Technical Services Department Cataloging Team, the Senior Library Technician will perform simple and complex copy cataloging for library materials in all formats for all university campus libraries. In addition to the Libraries’ system, the position will make use of locally-designed online tools, web-based commercial systems, e-mail, and other applications, including Microsoft Office and Google Apps for Education.
- Monitors and reviews operations of unit; ensures smooth work flow; enforces policies and procedures; ensures work product meets professional standards.
- Serves as informational resource to staff; investigates and resolves problems or difficulties related to area of expertise.
- Assists Library patrons; answers inquiries and provides information.
- Oversees student employees by scheduling and assigning tasks; monitors performance to ensure deadlines and applicable standards are met.
- Prepares various reports regarding operations.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and reorders as necessary.
- Simple/complex copy cataloging: search the OCLC bibliographic database to locate appropriate catalog records, evaluate and modify those records where needed to reflect national standards and local policies; add valid subject headings, notes and/or call numbers when needed; add or change local system codes; and add records to the Miami University Libraries catalog.
- Original cataloging: create original records in the OCLC bibliographic database for unique materials using national standards and local policies; add records to the Miami University Libraries catalog;create and maintain records in other library databases and systems as needed.
- Monitor and review the copy cataloging operations of the department to ensure smooth workflows.
- Enforce departmental policies and procedures in regard to copy cataloging. Copy cataloging staff are expected to contribute to the development, improvement and documentation of procedures.
- Ensure that cataloged material meets professional cataloging standards.
- Serves as an informational resource to departmental staff by interpreting rules to resolve problems and answer questions.
- Serves as a backup for authority control processing.
- As necessary, oversees student employees by scheduling and assigning tasks and monitor student performance.
- As necessary, prepares reports regarding cataloging operations.
- As necessary, collaborates on cataloging special materials with staff within the University Libraries.
- Assists technical services librarians with special projects as assigned.
- Basic copy cataloging knowledge and skills are also required, including knowledge of cataloging utilities and standards such as OCLC Connexion, RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and the Library of Congress Classification Schedule. Experience with an Innovative Interfaces Integrated (III) library system or other similar integrated library system. Important skill sets include: familiarity with standard office applications, keyboarding, attention to detail, organizational skills, understanding of business etiquette, strong oral and written communication skills, and time management skills.
Requires eighteen to twenty-four months of coursework or training beyond high school and three years of library experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Bibliographic knowledge of one or more languages other than English.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Department request Cover Letter, Resume and References be attached.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.