Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 2/23/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
This position will lead International Student Support efforts and all matters related to federal immigration regulations for MSU Denver international students. The Coordinator will provide vision, leadership, and oversight in facing the challenges of complying with federal immigration laws and mandatory governmental reporting requirements, as well as programming to support international student success. The Coordinator supports recruitment efforts by facilitating relationships and managing Memorandum of Understanding(MOU) with language schools, community colleges, and other partners.
Immigration Advising and Reporting (40%)
• Serve as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) for the F-1 visa program and Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 visa program, as authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of State.
• Provide oversight of the SEVIS system used to track international students.
• Advise students on complex immigration requirements, options, benefits, and permissions.
• Monitor and analyze policy issues concerning international students and advise relevant University leadership on needed changes to policy and practice.
• Provide relevant data on international student enrollment in response to Open Doors and other requests, both internal and external.
International Student Support and Retention (40%)
• Facilitate the transition of international students to college life at MSU Denver, including through orientation and providing assistance as appropriate with housing, transportation, etc.
• Develop and implement programs and outreach initiatives that aid international students’ attachment to and identity as students of MSU Denver.
• Counsel students or make appropriate references to available support services for various personal, social, academic, cultural, financial, tax-related, and other issues that may impact student success.
• Assess international student experiences and track retention and graduation rates of international students in order to evaluate programs and/or gaps where programs are needed.
• Serve as primary advisor for MSU Denver Global Community Student Group.
Support for International Student Recruitment (20%)
• Work collaboratively with Admissions, Marketing and Communications, the Office of International Studies, and academic units to develop messaging and share information with prospective students about degree programs, becoming an MSU Denver student, admissions procedures, etc., through in person, telephone, and electronic communications.
• Develop partnerships and agreements with relevant organizations and schools to assist with the recruitment of international students
• Support and facilitate bilateral student exchanges.
• Apply speaking and writing abilities in Spanish to aid in the recruitment of students from Latin America.
• Bachelors’ degree.
• 3 years of experience working with immigration laws, processes and procedures in a professional setting.
• U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent residence of the United States, as required by Federal law Homeland Security to serve as PDSO or DSO.(see link: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/answer/what-are-the-requirements-to-be-a-dso-or-pdso)
• Masters’ degree
• Experience serving as a PDSO, DSO, RO, or ARO
• Experience at an institution of higher education advising or supporting international students.
• Experience using effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills in a complex and culturally diverse work setting.
• Experience working with data and establishing data integrity.
• Experience conducting data assessment to inform decisions and program improvement.
• Must be detail oriented to determine appropriate reporting and deadline obligations for J-1 and F-1 Visa Status.
• Sensitivity to unique needs and cultural differences of international students.
• Proficiency using Web tools (e.g. Skype, Google Hangouts, social networking) for effective outreach and communication.
• Ability to enhance and create business processes based on office needs and regulatory changes.
• Bilingual abilities in Spanish and English.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online applications system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.