Detailed Job Description
Performs journeyman level work in the repair and maintenance of heating and air conditioning equipment and systems and the repair and installation of plumbing systems an fixtures; and does related work as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inspect, disassemble, repair, assemble, maintain and install air conditioning units, hot water heating units, electric motors, blowers and fans, gas ovens, and heaters.
- Check units for leaks, loose wires, broken belts, and defective switches, thermostats, valves, tubes, motors and other parts.
- Replace belts, compressors, timers, fan motors, valves, gaskets, filters, thermocouples, thermostats, pilot assemblies, and other defective parts.
- Maintain and/or purchase supplies needed for work.
- May have operating responsibility for automatically controlled environmental control systems affecting the heating or cooling power and water of a building or campus.
- Maintain diesel equipment.
- Install, maintain and repair water, gas, and waste lines, toilets, urinals, shower heads, faucets, and drinking fountains.
- Install a variety of traps and valves.
- Clear stopped-up drains, toilets, urinals and sewer and storm drain lines.
- Use jack hammers, air compressors, electrical pumps, roto-rooters, pipe threading machines, wrenches, and other plumbing tools.
- Perform general maintenance work as required, including clean-up after work is completed.
- May be on-call twenty-four hours a day.
- Perform other duties reasonable related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Methods, materials and equipment used in the heating and air conditioning and plumbing trades including electrical, heating, refrigeration, rough plumbing and repair work and welding.
- Building code and OSHA requirements as they relate to plumbing work.
- A central utility power plant system similar to the District's and all electrical and electronic equipment associated with that system.
- Interpret and work from drawings and blue prints.
- Use various tools and equipment, including the operation of mechanical tools.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Demonstrated general maintenance, heating and air conditioning, and plumbing experience including experience at the journeyman level. Experience with sophisticated environmental control systems is highly desirable.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$78,240 - $95,439 Annual Salary (Range 132:Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.