Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 3/1/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Synopsis of Role:
The Systems Engineer (Linux/MySQL) plans, implements, maintains and optimizes all aspects of mission critical system(s) including OS, application, database and key integration points to ensure 99.99% availability. Additionally, this role develops and manages the automated integration of systems and ensures data extraction and transformation to meet business needs.
• Provides administration and support of Linux and MySQL services including database tuning and replication, building and deploying redundant hardware solutions, securing and “hardening” servers, load testing, and patching of environments.
• Designs, implements, and manages a 99.99% available, fault-tolerant, distributed MySQL environment.
• Builds out the logical and physical database design, creation of partitions, tables, views, procedures and other database objects.
• Maintains and monitors database systems to ensure proper operation, performance, data backup, disaster recovery, and availability.
• Works with production teams to put in place real-time database monitoring systems and response procedures.
• Employs best database development knowledge to address performance, scalability, and efficiency issues with large scale out MySQL databases topology.
• Responds to and solves technical problems related to MySQL database.
• Works with application developers to create and update database components and customized integrations.
• Works closely with software engineering and operation teams to troubleshoot system performance issues.
• Performs MySQL database administration tasks such as installation, configuration, scheduled backups, and upgrades.
• Transitions new systems and products from development and engineering stage into the operations stage in compliance with change management procedures.
• Works with development and testing staff to identify requirements and implement solutions.
• Assesses system and network requirements for implementing and maintaining hardware, software and telecommunications solutions to provide required infrastructure and service levels.
• Maintains, documents, debugs and implements hardware, software and systems solutions across multiple platforms and architectures to support information technology (IT requirements).
• Reviews and troubleshoots the installation of hardware and implementation of layered software solutions and products to ensure that they meet the company requirements. Communicates, collaborates and supports of help desk, admin staff, engineering staff, development team and management as required.
• Implements projects, performs capacity planning and engineers new solutions to provide for optimal system performance. Works closely with developers on developing infrastructure and system architecture to support company needs.
• Works with other team members to maintain network and server infrastructure, including routers, switches, network appliances (load balancers, firewalls, etc.), Linux and Windows servers and security infrastructure.
• Provides technical guidance and mentoring to less senior members of the staff.
• Provides onsite support for production enterprise environments located in Charles Town, West Virginia, Manassas, Virginia, co-location facility in Virginia, and remote support for our disaster recovery site.
• Troubleshoots various server environments when issues arise and provide resolutions.
• Ensures 24x7x365 availability for identified internal mission critical network services.
• Assists in establishing performance and maintaining standards, policies and procedures.
• Researches, designs and recommends new technology systems and solutions.
• Provides periodic reports on the performance, stability, scalability and suitability of all managed production systems.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Ability to lift boxes up to 50 pounds.
• Flexible and agile enough to access tight spaces in telephone closets and around furniture.
• Travel to data centers at multiple locations in West Virginia and Virginia.
• Core coverage hours of support are Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm but will be part of the rotating 24x7x365 on call schedule.
• Strong knowledge of Network/database tools, Linux, Tomcat, Apache, MySQL, Java, and Perl.
• Experience with one or more of the following: LAN/WAN/VPN and remote network technologies and protocols (such as, but not limited to, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, 802.11H.233, Ethernet and HTML) Cisco routers, hubs, and switches.
• Knowledge of installation, configuration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, performance tuning and security of Linux Servers.
• Ability to troubleshoot network hardware problems, utilizing network analyzers and test equipment.
• Understanding of the relationship between the network and production applications.
• Ability to mentor other teammates.
• Ability to support the network after hours and on weekends as needed.
• Excellent communication, including written and verbal skills.
• Excellent organizational and documentation skills.
• Ability to work independently and with other team members.
• Excellent problem solving abilities.
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent degree.
• Three to seven plus years of experience in a Linux/MySQL environment.
• Experience with Internet technologies and 24x7 online transactional systems required.
• Experience with commonly-used network protocols/technologies and the servers that are frequently used to provide them, e.g., DNS, SMTP, HTTP/S, SSH, LDAP, etc. required.
• Experience with MySQL 5.1, particularly in the areas of performance tuning, query optimization, database design, and high-availability solutions required.
• Experience with integration and ETL in mixed platform environment required.
• Experience with VMWare preferred.
• Experience with SANS and Dell platform preferred.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.