Detailed Job Description
San Jose City College
Math and Science
Performs support services for a variety of instructional programs in Science by providing materials, supplies, equipment, and related logistical support to lecture, laboratory, or other instructional activities; prepares materials, supplies, and equipment using special methods and procedures related to the discipline.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and ensure the security of the assigned instructional laboratory facility and related areas.
- Dispense and retrieve laboratory equipment, tools, materials, and reusable supplies.
- Prepare, transport, set up, and take down materials and equipment used in instructional laboratory demonstrations, exercises, practicals, scenarios, and other activities; mix and prepare reagents and other materials.
- Discuss future laboratory activities and scheduled events with instructors; prepare laboratory facilities and assemble supplies.
- Demonstrate to students the proper and safe operation of assigned equipment.
- Maintain stock levels and inventories of necessary supplies and equipment; reorder, pick up, and deliver as authorized.
- Perform basic informational activities in determining pricing, availability, and specifications of necessary supplies.
- Obtain and maintain Material Safety Data sheets.
- Ensure safe handling, storage and proper labeling of hazardous materials and hazardous waste that may include performing any departmental inspections as required by regulatory agencies.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment and ensure their safekeeping; clean and provide for general maintenance of the laboratory and shop areas at conclusion of scheduled activities.
- Perform preventive maintenance on equipment; calibrate and make minor repairs; report need for major repairs or place service calls as authorized.
- Under direction of instructor, monitor students for proper and safe methods and procedures in laboratory equipment operation and materials handling.
- Perform a variety of miscellaneous office work such as preparing purchase requisitions, answering the telephone, scheduling appointments, photocopying, and distributing mail.
- Provide general information regarding assigned program to participants, potential participants, and other interested parties.
- Maintain a variety of records, files, inventories, and reports.
- Order, pick up, deliver, and set up audio-visual equipment needed to conduct laboratory presentations.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Science lab principles and practices related to materials, nomenclature, equipment, and instruments used in physical and/or life science laboratories.
- Preventive maintenance techniques and methods to ensure the operation of assigned equipment.
- Proper safety precautions and procedures utilized in handling all types of laboratory hazardous waste.
- Supply and inventory procedures for the effective maintenance of stock levels.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Perform preventive maintenance, calibration, and minor repair on assigned equipment.
- Perform assigned duties with a significant degree of independence, observing proper and safe procedures and techniques.
- Apply language skills to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports and correspondence;` speak effectively before groups of faculty or students.
- Apply mathematical skills to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, concentrations, and volume; apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Utilize reasoning skills to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be an Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve ;and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$19.50 - $23.82 Hourly Salary (Range 66: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.