Detailed Job Description
Skidmore College is a highly regarded, selective, independent, coeducational, residential, liberal arts College. Located in beautiful Saratoga Springs, New York, Skidmore sits on a pristine campus of over 750 acres near the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. Saratoga Springs is a not-so-well-guarded secret of rich tradition accented with an abounding youthful feeling. The college's unique location makes it the perfect place for those who desire the peace of country-like living as well as the excitement and activity accessible in nearby larger cities. Skidmore College offers its employees opportunities for professional and personal growth, a very competitive benefits package, and the ability to positively impact the community.
The Skidmore College community awaits your arrival, so if you welcome challenges and are interested in making a difference, come join us!
The Opportunity Program (OP) at Skidmore College, a private liberal arts institution, seeks a Learning Associate to provide exploratory advising, academic coaching, and content-based tutoring for OP students. Through the advising and coaching process, The OP Learning Associate will discern the academic needs of OP students and assist each student in developing an academic plan of action for their growth and support in specific areas of study. We are particularly open to candidates from under-represented groups who have experience with diverse populations and are able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of Skidmore's academic community.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Support academic and psychosocial educational support of OP students.
- Provide professional-level tutoring support in specific subject areas.
- Assist students in securing Content-Specific Academic Support (peer-tutoring) through Student Academic Services and other on-campus content based tutoring services.
- Develop subject-based academic support groups for OP students.
- Instruct OP students in areas of learning science and academic skills development.
- Design and implement "Academic Development" workshops in specific subject areas.
- Educate students regarding stress-reduction and anxiety management techniques as related to academic success, personal wellness, and work-life balance.
Specific Responsibilities: (Math & Science Support)
- Support students in their development as scholars in Math and Science with special focus on developmental academic coaching in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and quantitative/science-based courses.
- Implement specialized approaches for helping students to overcome academic anxiety regarding quantitative/science-based subject matter.
- Assists OP students in cultivating math and science-related research interests and in cultivating mentorship relationships with faculty in related disciplines.
- Provide writing support in lab sciences and textbook reading strategies in quantitative and scientific disciplines.
OP Learning Associates must be completely committed to providing a culturally safe space for OP students and a judgment free zone for academic exploration and continual learning. They must also share our commitment to the academic and psychosocial development of the whole student with special emphasis on self-efficacy, resiliency, and development of positive academic self-image among OP students.
Masters required, with Bachelor's in any of the STEM fields preferably Biology and/or Chemistry. Strong background in an academic discipline; tutoring, or academic counseling experience. Experience working with English Language Learners and students from under-represented backgrounds. Demonstrated ability to interact with persons from educationally and economically disadvantaged and other diverse backgrounds, and knowledge of issues related to access and equity in higher education.
Teaching experience preferred.
Required Applicant Documents
List of Three References
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, military or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics or prior arrest or conviction record or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS