Detailed Job Description
San Jose City College
Business and Workforce Development
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach a 100% load in the field of Computer Information Systems. Course assignments will include topics such as but not limited to: Introduction to Computer Information Systems, Windows, Programming, Database Administration, CCNA/RS, C/C++, Comp TIA A+, Networking Fundamentals, TCP/IP and IP Routing, CISCO, PC Troubleshooting and Repair and Electronics. The ideal candidate will have the background to develop courses in Server Security (to include COMPTIA Security and Prep, CISSP information, Computer Forensics, Web Security, Apple IOS, and the internet.)
- Utilize the district's computerized course prerequisite system.
- Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility and use methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter.
- Communicate subject matter clearly, correctly, effectively and keep required office hours.
- Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
- Teach students effectively and submit and maintain appropriate office hours.
- Use appropriate preparation and organizational skills in area of assignment.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional development including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
- Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
- Meet all professional responsibilities.
- Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation and disabilities.
- Work cooperatively within the college community with students, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Foster a professional working environment.
- Use effective and positive communication skills with staff and students.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diversity, a respect for differences and the dignity of others.
- Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
- Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings, within the work week, but not in conflict with the member's primary assignment.
- Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any Bachelor’s degree and two years of professional experience
Any Associate's Degree AND six years of professional experience
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Industry certification including A+, CCNA, CISCO, etc.
2. Industry experience and connections with ability to grow opportunities for internships and work experiences that lead to full-time employment.
3. Experience working with industry through advisories, taskforces or committees.
4. Willingness to expand and/or contract the program to meet local and regional needs.
5. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$64,313 to $82,493 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2014-2015); Maximum Salary Potential $111,916. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.