Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Associate Director for Compensation and Benefits, the HR Generalist assists in the plan administration and processing of the institution's health and welfare plans including medical, dental vision, life, disability, flexible spending, unemployment, workers compensation, paid and unpaid leave, and tuition/fee waivers. The position will also be involved with the administration and processing of the institution's defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans. Duties will include, but are not limited to, resolution of employee inquiries and problems, government reporting, development/distribution of communication materials, research/resolution of complex issues, compliance with laws/regulations, participation in projects, managing/maintaining benefits records, and ensuring confidentiality of data.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management or related field; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Professional Human Resources certification (PHR) or Certified Benefits Professional (CBP) preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
-Knowledge of insurance/retirement plans and applicable federal/state laws and regulations; health insurance trends; accounting principles and business operations.
-Knowledge of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and accompanying mandates.
-Working knowledge of laws governing FMLA, workers compensation, unemployment and retirement.
-Demonstrated skill in organizing and maintaining confidential records; customer service; time management, interpersonal, problem solving.
-Demonstrated skill in account reconciliation.
-Skill in report writing.
-Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
-Ability to understand and apply complex UVU, state and federal regulations
-Ability to interact with a diverse employee population in a professional manner and to communicate complex information verbally and in writing.
-Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult and personal issues.
-Ability to maintain confidentiality according to HIPPA laws and regulations.
-Intermediate/advanced computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment, including demonstrated skill in Excel, PowerPoint, and database management.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- Application materials become the property of UVU.
- For questions contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org