Detailed Job Description
Job ID: 2151 - SATSS - FT
To ensure proper maintenance and promotion of a healthy campus environment, paying particular attention to the overall campus aesthetics as it relates to the Campus Landscape Master Plan. This position manages plans and organizes the day-to-day grounds keeping activities within in a large university campus setting. Responsibilities include delivering grounds keeping services, quality assurance, customer service, report generation for senior management, and personnel functions to include direct supervision of classified staff.
- Leadership-Management-Relationship - Provides direction, focus, guidance, support, prioritization and oversight for grounds keeping staff; maintains a well-disciplined work force; keeps senior management informed; responsive to directives from senior management; supports the unit, departmental, and institutional goals; participates in training and development to maintain currency in supervisory responsibilities.
- Work Planning - Develops and implements a plan to ensure that all areas of responsibility are maintained on a regular basis; assigns specific duties to subordinate employees in accordance with their individual capabilities and job classifications and holds them accountable for the satisfactory performance of such duties; works with the senior management to assure appropriate delivery of grounds keeping tasks, frequencies, methods, service levels, and schedules. Analyzes man-hours, material costs, and related data to develop and implement cost-saving measures. Monitors and reviews completed tasks; ensures that any necessary changes or corrections are made.
- Quality Control - Oversees work practices and processes that result in high levels of quality; ensures employees use proper techniques and methods in the use of equipment, materials, and supplies during the performance of their duties. Effectively manage the tools and equipment that will be used to maintain campus areas.
- Customer Service - Provides direction to assure work practices that result in a high degree of customer satisfaction; maintains good relationships with and among assigned employees, staff, students, customers and visitors within area of responsibility.
- Record Keeping & Reporting Function - Assures work practices that result in accurate and timely tracking of work requests; prepares periodic inspections of work areas to insure proper maintenance standards are maintained; maintains attendance and work records for assigned employees; makes decisions regarding time off from work requests (i.e., vacation & leave schedules). Performs a variety of administrative tasks including completing paperwork and maiintaining records, and resolving complaints.
- Assures proper supply inventories are maintained. Develops forecasts on materials, supplies, and equipment needs; places orders for materials and supplies.
- Personnel Function - Interviews job applicants and makes recommendations for hiring actions; issues discipline such as counseling and written corrective discipline; involved with the training and professional development of employees; ensures employee performance evaluations are completed; holds subordinate employees accountable for productivity; enforces University and departmental policies, procedures, work rules, performance standards, codes of conduct, etc., among assigned employees.
- Other Responsibilities - Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Knowledge of custodial procedures and techniques and supervisory skills.
Requires an Associate's Degree in a related field and three years of experience in large scale custodial services, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Post secondary education. Grounds keeping management experience in an institution of higher education. Have or willing to obtain within six months, an Ohio Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License. Snow/ ice removal experience in an institutional/commercial setting. Turf management experience including fertilization, over-seeding, pest and insect control, and operating knowledge of irrigation systems in an institutional/commercial setting.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.