Detailed Job Description
San Jose City College
Under direction of the Dean of Enrollment Services, performs a variety of specialized duties involved in evaluation of transcripts; interpret and evaluate independently prior college education credit, course equivalency, high school credit and other measures utilized to determine completion of units to be granted to incoming students; evaluate graduation candidates to assure District and State general education requirements have been met.
Duties and Responsibilities
Examples of Duties - depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Evaluate transcripts from other colleges, high schools or other institutions; determine number of equivalent units accepted from other colleges, converting units where applicable and determining which classes meet graduation requirements.
- Evaluate student records for graduation and make final determination of degree awards; input graduation information from student degree application into student information system; resolve discrepancies regarding major codes and degree availability status; approve degrees according to established procedures.
- Advise and assist counselors and students concerning graduation requirements, foreign student documents and transcripts, course and unit evaluations; evaluate, review, approve or deny graduation petitions, certificates of achievement and academic renewal.
- Evaluate and grant credit for special programs.
- Respond to requests for course descriptions from other institutions.
- Assist with correcting student academic records and recalculating grade points and semester units; enter academic notations; post credits and grades.
- Complete State-mandated reports on graduation statistics, survey requests and questionnaires.
- Reconcile grade and positive attendance edits with missing grades and hours; compile and monitor late lists of grades and census.
- Provide specialized information and assistance to students, staff, counselors, administrators and others regarding course equivalencies, school policies and procedures military credit, test scores and graduation requirements; resolve problems as necessary.
- Plan and implement cap and gown, honor cord and announcement sales and distribution; prepare letters to candidates and distribute to candidates; assist in planning and coordinating graduation ceremonies; order diplomas.
- Operate a variety of office machines including a typewriter, computer, microfiche, calculator and copier.
- Train and provide work direction to other employees.
- Assist in certification of enrollment for students obtaining financial aid, insurance, employment and deferment of loan payments.
- Assist in processing of official transcript requests; receive requests, file, prepare transcripts and test scores.
- Assist in other areas of Admissions and Records as required.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proper techniques involved in evaluating transcripts.
- Admissions and Records Office policies and practices.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and applicable software.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Applicable sections of State Education Code and other applicable laws.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Basic research methods.
- District organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Analyze a variety of written material and data, including course descriptions, college catalogs, test scores and State education codes.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Complete work with many interruptions.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Plan and organize work.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Associate’s degree from an accredited institution.
2. Three year of experience in a college admissions and records position.
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve; and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$47,591 - $58,090 Annual Salary (Range 82: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.