Detailed Job Description
Job ID = 2088 - Unclassified - Full-time
Under specific or general direction, participate in an agile team responsible for delivering solutions, including acquisition, implementation and integration of locally hosted and SaaS third party software, development of custom solutions, and supporting applications. Work effectively with the team and be accountable to the team.
General Duties (Degree of responsibility advances by level.)
Application Developer I and II
- Participate in cross-functional projects. Coordinate small development tasks. Identify roadblocks and report them to the team leadership.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team with an emphasis on agile methodologies and be accountable to that team on all aspects of a solution.
- Proactively contribute to the advancement of a team. This may include serving in the Scrum Master role (or similar roles) for agile teams.
- Develop application specifications based on existing requirements using agile techniques. May participate in gathering and documenting requirements.
- Design, develop, modify, test, and implement computer applications using agile techniques. May include the appropriate design and use of error handling, logging, APIs, code reuse, etc.
- Under specific or general directory, plan and execute third party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and reusing code.
- Participate in change management procedures.
- Create & execute multiple levels of test plans including the automation of tests.
- Provide support and problem resolution of computer applications.
- Coordinate support with other IT Services areas.
- Provide demonstrations and training on new and modified computer applications.
- Provide and maintain documentation on computer applications.
- Work with clients to suggest solutions to problems. Learn and understand client business processes and functions.
- Actively seek to balance excellent customer service with efficient operations.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- May occasionally teach one credit bearing course, per semester, on an as needed basis.
Minimum Qualifications required by level of position:
Application Developer I Requires:
- Bachelor's degree by date of hire.
Application Developer II Requires:
- Bachelor's degree by date of hire and 2 years relevant experience.
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
Preferred Qualifications for Appointment as Application Developer I or II.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience consuming and developing web services (REST or SOA)
- Exposure/demonstrated experience with application support, development and third party application deployment in Linux, Windows, or SaaS environments.
- Exposure/demonstrated experience participating in Agile teams using Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Knowledge/experience developing applications in PHP, Perl, or similar languages
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience developing web applications that are hardened against web attacks (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.)
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems.
- Knowledge/demonstrated experience developing applications in Java, Grails, or related languages
Preferred Qualifications for Appointment as Application Developer II.
- Demonstrated experience working in teams implementing 3rd party systems
- Demonstrated experience consuming and creating XML and/or JSON data
- Demonstrated experience developing shell scripts
- Experience developing and testing web applications for accessibility (ADA) compliance
- Experience developing or implementing applications that utilize single-signon and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor)
- Experience using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Demonstrated good verbal and written communication skills; including communicating with technical and non-technical clients, and with clients and staff at all organizational levels
- Developing, executing, and automating test plans
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities and experience
- Customer service skills; including diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handling complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize new tools, languages, and concepts
- Demonstrated ability to independently gain knowledge of technology and industry trends
- Working knowledge of network architecture and concepts including DNS, DHCP, VLANs
- Experience developing and supporting applications using Oracle and its related tools, such as SQL Developer, SQL Plus, Forms Developer, and PL/SQL
- Experience with web and Java application server administration
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.