Detailed Job Description
The person in this position will be an integral member of the Bates College design team within the college’s communications office. She or he will work closely with the Director of Creative Design, Senior Visual Designer, Senior Web Designer, and Project Manager – as well as the full the communications team, and clients from across the college – to create visual designs for every medium that support the Bates brand.
Essential Job Functions
- Work within the Bates Communications Office to produce creative and fully integrated print and digital visual communications for external and internal audiences in support of the college’s messages and brand identity.
- Collaborate with the editorial team to brainstorm and craft messages and creatively convey those messages through design, and with the photo/video team to develop assets in support of creative visual content.
- Work closely with the Director of Creative Design, Project Manager, and other designers to manage priorities and deadlines.
- Work with external printing vendors and Bates Office Services as needed to ensure quality for print designs.
- Serve as a creative resource to BCO colleagues and campus clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in the arts, graphic design, or related field, and a minimum of 3 years of professional design experience (creative agency experience and familiarity working in a client-facing role is a plus).
- Strong graphic design skills, excellent design and brand sense, and a track record of creating high quality cross-platform visuals (portfolio required).
- Experience translating complex concepts and data into clear, understandable visualizations.
- Mastery of graphic design software and applications, including InDesign and Photoshop.
- An understanding of what it means to work with clients, and a demonstrated ability to guide projects toward the most effective design solutions.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Devotion to detail.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.