Detailed Job Description
Job ID: 2120 - Unclassified - Full-time
The Director of Advancement Information Systems and Analytics provides leadership and vision for the management, reporting, training, integrity and analysis of UA's constituent and donor data and ERP database. The director is responsible for business analysis and oversees the selection, development, programming, testing and management of information systems; reporting and analytics; training, documentation, equipment and application support; and data security for the division. The Director reports to the Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Events.
- The director oversees the creation and roll out of data models that align with division and university strategic priorities to better target solicitations, cultivation, engagement and marketing efforts of the areas of University Advancement, including alumni relations, development, stewardship & donor relations, and marketing & communications.
- Create and execute division reporting requests and policies; ensure Advancement report request policies are followed; provide strategic and analytical reports for the advancement division and university leadership; oversee ad-hoc requests; manage report requests from other University departments and outside vendors ensuring the security of sensitive and/or confidential information. Explore, test, and implement new reporting tools as they are made available.
- Direct analytics, benchmarking, surveys, collaborations and special initiatives for University Advancement. Provide proactive and data-driven insights that inform advancement business decisions, focused on data mining and development of strategies for cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
- Directs the daily operations of the reporting and analysis team through effective hiring & retaining of talent, goal setting, budgeting, and undertaking professional development opportunities.
- The director is responsible for helping UA and other university stakeholders understand trends, issues, and opportunities through data analysis, the development and deployment of dashboards, analytical reports, and data exploration tools.
- Establishes and formulates policies and procedures related to development reporting and analysis; assesses and addresses system-wide data integrity issues.
- Manages external and internal vendor contracts and relationships for UA information and reporting needs, software, hardware, and data storage, efficiency and integrity.
- Assist with strategic planning, goal setting, and evaluation and documentation of operations that align with division strategic priorities.
- Acts as division liaison to Miami information technology, facilitating a positive relationship with the department's infrastructure, data, tools, and security needs. Develops and enforces policies and procedures to protect the integrity, privacy, and security of information and to ensure that division data management practices comply with University security policies; Oversees feeds to and from other Advancement and external systems to ensure data security and integrity; Manages IT application and technical support for all aspects of Division, including budgeting and acquiring for divisional technological needs (printers, desktop, telecommunications, cellular, etc…).
- Be a primary point of contact and serve in a leadership role for any upgrades, patches, conversions, or implementations of new technology related to the ERP system. Serve as liaison to technology services and vendor contacts. Represent the division on cross-campus committees and teams related to data integrity.
- Provides leadership and vision for developing, implementing and managing information technology resources and staff training in support of the plans and goals of University Advancement (UA).
- Investigates, recommends and implements appropriate future and current technological solutions, while concurrently ensuring that the Advancement Data & Analytics team meets deadlines consistent with divisional priorities.
- Empower Advancement staff to run standard reports through the development of appropriate training methods and provide technical guidance and training on the available reporting tools, query techniques, and data standards.
- Develops, refines and maintains project management processes and procedures to ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Senior Director.
Bachelor's degree required. Five years’ experience and proven leadership in successfully managing fundraising data management systems. Strong understanding of how development software is used to help manage and enhance relationships with constituents and experience in deploying applications for users via the web and in coordination of issues related to database integration is essential. Strong technical, administrative, budgetary and supervisory experience is required. Ability to troubleshoot computer programs, analyzes and review computer system capabilities, and optimizes performance. Ability to train, motivate and manage staff. Experience with fundraising software, including demonstrated understanding of issues involved in selecting and refining software for effective use in advancement work. Have an understanding of prospect research goals, tools and methodology. Excellent written and oral communication skills along with organizational abilities required. Must be highly customer-service and detail-oriented, able to handle multiple priorities at one time. Project/matrix management experience desirable. Strong understanding of business analysis and project management concepts and practices. Familiarity with business intelligence tools and data-warehousing. Familiarity with training procedures and protocols for information management systems. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team. Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
Advanced degree preferred; Experience in advancement for higher education institution; Experience working with Banner Advancement; Familiarity with SQL; Familiarity with Miami University policies and practices.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.