Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 1/23/2013.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
University of San Diego
Title: Tram Driver (Casual Worker)
Department: Parking and Tram Services
Job #: IRC#9805
Salary per hour: $14.50
This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefit based position with an assignment end date of December 31, 2013.
Closing date: January 23, 2013
The tram service supports the university and department missions to offer quality service and create a welcoming campus community. Under supervision, this position is responsible for the operation of a bus designed to carry up to 30 passengers on and off campus. Operates under the general supervision of the Tram Services and Fleet Safety Manager and direct supervision of Tram Coordinator.
• Make one self-familiar and adhere to divisions Code of Conduct.
• Drive tram on designated routes.
• Maintain current class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30+ and medical certification.
• Adhere to all traffic regulations.
• Drive in safe and efficient manner.
• Maintain scheduled runs.
• Display courteous manner to all passengers.
• Check vehicle for obvious damage and maintenance needs (tires, cleanliness).
• Help maintain vehicle cleanliness.
• Practice non-aggressive, defensive driving techniques; anticipate and report traffic problems to other drivers.
• Monitor gauges, report discrepancies, and initiate correction.
• Monitor and respond to communications over radio.
• Keep hourly head counts and other paperwork as required
• Maintain current knowledge of applicable safety procedures and emergency equipment in the event of an illness, accident, or breakdown.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and weekends, as needed.
• Must have a valid, unrestricted California class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more and will be required to drive University vehicles.
• Job hours and/or workweek may be changed when necessary to meet work commitments.
• Employee is required to properly wear a uniform prescribed and furnished by USD.
• Will participate in the University and/or department leadership enrichment courses and participate in various seminars related to the trade.
• Must pass Department of Motor Vehicles background check
There may be a need to adjust shifts; may work extended or late shifts, and may be required to work overtime, and/or weekends.
NOTE: Safety sensitive job classification. Employees in this job class are subject to random drug and alcohol tests.
• Must have a full understanding of the Hazardous Communication Programs and the information contained in the Material Safety Data Sheets and all Warning Labels.
• Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
• Consistently monitor employees in his/her area for compliance with all safety rules, regulations and policies and report to manager or service coordinator.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be able to clearly communicate information to a wide variety of people, as well as the ability to handle problem passengers.
• Physical strength and mobility to assist with wheelchair bound passengers.
• Skill in driving vehicles in pedestrian congested areas.
• Knowledge of various safe-driving techniques.
• Must become familiar with campus building names to help direct visitors.
• Be knowledgeable of campus layout and parking facilities.
• Must maintain an acceptable attendance record.
• Sit for long periods of time while driving vehicle routes.
• Physically requires lifting, carrying, pulling, or pushing when assisting passengers in wheelchairs.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of a High School diploma.
• Minimum of three or more years operating with a Class B license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
On a daily basis, will encounter road noise, vehicle exhaust, and vibrations from vehicle and road
Condition of Employment
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Successfully pass drug-screening test and submit clean DMV H6 printout and mandatory Class B driver’s license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
Degree Verification Requirement:
Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
For information go to our website:
Complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact Leah Mikulsky at 619-260-2770, or email us at email@example.com
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.