Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 3,400 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
ResponsibilitiesThis hourly position reports directly to a Public Safety Sergeant and is a non-sworn educational security officer position. Heavy foot patrol, vehicle patrol, parking enforcement, fire and crime prevention, heavy public relations and public assistance. Respond to calls for service, switchboard and radio communications, and other areas of safety/security as required on assigned shift. Must wear issued uniform and equipment duty belt. Must be willing to work any assigned shift; weekends and holidays; overtime may be assigned.
- Patrol: Conduct security patrols of the 400 plus acres of the college including off-campus locations. Conduct routine security checks of the college's 68 plus buildings and structures. This is done through vehicles, on foot and bicycles. Respond to all emergencies including fire alarms, burglary alarms, medical emergencies and crimes. Provide proactive patrol and observations checking for light outages, emergency phone checks, hazardous conditions, crime prevention, violations of college policies and procedures, and parking enforcement. When appropriate, make arrests of persons committing criminal acts. Assist Moraga Police Department when necessary. Write clear, concise and accurate reports documenting actions taken.
- Dispatch: Receives emergency calls from public, determines nature and location of emergencies, dispatches Public Safety and or other emergency agencies as necessary. Monitors alarms, answers non-emergency calls for assistance, processes, and prioritizes these calls and then determines the appropriate response. Makes quick and accurate decisions, handles multiple duties at one time. Enter, update and retrieve information from computer systems, Proficient in the use of Data Tel, Ad Astra, MS Word, Access Data Base, and E-mail. Handles requests for information (vehicle permits, License numbers, and Student information). Operates a variety of communication equipment including radio, telephone and computer systems. Prepares and maintains accurate records and logs of all radio transmissions and telephone calls. Types information on a computer keyboard to update information accurately. Answers questions and provides information to the public. Hands out visitor permits, logs lost and found items, issues campus parking permits. Deal effectively with upset, confused, hostile or hysterical people by phone or walkup. Works in a confined area with lots of outside distractions, Deals with sensitive and confidential information, Relays complicated information to Public Safety Officers in a brief yet complete manner. Gives directions for on campus and off campus locations. Reviews and maintains Log books at gate. Dispatches for Physical Plant, Residence Life, Athletics. Issues items and packages to appropriate persons. Daily checks of traffic monitoring camera system and PA.
- Campus Services: Secure and open College buildings, classrooms, sports facilities and other structures at various times keeping with a highly flexible campus schedule. Monitor, activate and deactivate as required 75 alarm systems throughout the campus as well as the Rheem Campus. Provide campus escorts. Provide delivery service of sensitive/confidential items and materials. Provide vehicle jumpstart services. Provide lockout service for Faculty and Staff. Provide welfare checks of individuals on campus.
- Residence Life Services: Frequent contact with residents at all hours day and night. Perform lockout services for resident students whenever Residence Life is closed. Respond to all disturbances, emergencies, and suspicious circumstances in the residence halls. Support the Resident Assistants, Residence Directors and Brothers in the residence halls. Assist ORL staff with uncooperative or confrontational residence and guests in the halls. Perform room searches upon requests of the ORL staff.
- Traffic and parking control: Enforce all parking regulations on campus. Issue parking citations, immobilize or tow vehicles in violation. Patrol both on foot and in vehicles the parking lots and areas on campus. Provide traffic control for special events, accidents, or maintenance or construction projects.
- Administrative Tasks: Data entry into parking system and Incident report systems. Complete required reports and projects in a timely, accurate and comprehensive manner.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 3 years of military police/security/law enforcement work.
- MS Word, Excel, Access, XP, Web and E-Mail use. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Knowledge of crime and fire prevention techniques.
- Physically able to perform the duties of the job which include, but not limited to: walking, standing, sitting, running, lifting, bending, twisting, restraining individuals and handcuffing.
- California Driver's License, Class "C", current CPR, AED, First Aid certificates required P.C.
- 832 certificate required (Guard Card).
- Must wear a uniform. Work weekends, holidays, nights, outdoors in inclement weather, overtime assigned and until relieved. Exposure to hostility, must be able to remain calm and maintain a professional demeanor while facing all forms of verbal abuse such as, racial, sexual, religious, ethnic, political, professional and social. Pre-employment screening may include, but not limited t drug screen, reference check, physical examination, full criminal history background and a complete driving history check.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu.1) Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College2) A resume 3) The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.