Detailed Job Description
Job ID = 2089 - Unclassified - Full-time
Participate in an agile team responsible for delivering solutions, including acquisition, implementation and integration of locally hosted and SaaS third party software; development of custom solutions; and supporting applications. May include mentoring staff, ensuring the team is working effectively and optimizing departmental effectiveness.
General Duties (Degree of responsibility advances by level.)
Application Developer III or Senior I or Senior II
- Participate in and/or provide leadership for cross-functional, major systems projects. Coordinate moderate to large sized projects. Maintain project status reports. Develop written technical project proposals. Recommend solutions to project issues. In coordination with the team, proactively work to remove roadblocks.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team with an emphasis on agile methodologies and be accountable to that team on all aspects of a solution. May include mentoring staff and ensuring the team is working effectively.
- Proactively contribute to the advancement of a team, including possibly leading meetings and resolving conflicts. This may include serving in the Scrum Master role (or similar roles) for agile teams.
- Gather, document & analyze requirements & develop specifications for complete systems and applications using agile techniques. May mentor staff at lower levels in the development of requirements & specifications.
- Design, develop, modify, test and implement computer applications using agile techniques including designing and using error handling, logging, APIs, code reuse, etc. May include mentoring of other staff and review of their work.
- Plan and execute third party software implementations and integrations with a focus on using APIs and reusing code. May mentor others on how to integrate and troubleshoot third party solutions.
- Participate in change management procedures; provide input and/or participate in the Change Advisory Board.
- Document test plans and execute a variety of testing methods; coordinate automation with QA when possible. May include mentoring others in this area.
- Provide support and problem resolution of computer applications.
- Coordinate support and releases with other IT Services areas and other campus units.
- Provide formal and informal demonstrations and training on a variety of computer application related topics to IT Services and to clients.
- Provide and maintain documentation on computer applications.
- Build positive relationships and serve as a liaison with clients and IT Services staff. This includes acquiring a knowledge of the roles, duties, and skills that various clients and teams possess and utilizing that knowledge to engage others effectively.
- Work with clients in a proactive manner, offering solutions to problems and continually strive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their business operation. Learn and understand client business processes and functions.
- Actively seek to balance excellent customer service with efficient operations. May include mentoring others in this area.
- Review and analyze vendor responses to RFPs. May participate in development of RFPs.
- Participate in professional development activities and possibly identify professional development activities for the team or department.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- May occasionally teach one credit bearing course, per semester, on an as needed basis.
Minimum Qualifications required by level of position:
Minumum Qualifications for Application Developer III
- Bachelor's degree earned by date of hire and 4 years of relevant experience.
Minumum Qualifications for Senior Application Developer I
- Bachelor's degree earned by date of hire and 6 years of relevant experience.
Minumum Qualifications for Senior Application Developer II
- Bachelor's degree earned by date of hire and 8 years of relevant experience.
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience providing the knowledge/skills/abilities listed above may be substituted. Experience in these knowledge/skills/abilities may be earned concurrently.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience designing and developing web services (REST or SOA).
- Demonstrated experience with application support, development and third party application deployment in Linux, Windows, and SaaS environments.
- Experience participating in and/or leading Agile teams using Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Demonstrated experience developing applications in PHP, Perl, or similar languages.
- Demonstrated experience developing web applications that are hardened against web attacks (SQL injection, cross-site scripting, etc.) and/or evaluating existing applications for such attacks.
- Working knowledge of desktop operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience designing the components/implementation and integration of 3rd party systems.
- Demonstrated experience designing, consuming, and creating XML and/or JSON data.
- Demonstrated experience developing shell scripts.
- Experience developing and testing web applications for accessibility (ADA) compliance. May include recommending techniques.
- Experience developing or implementing applications that utilize single-signon and authentication systems (LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Shibboleth, Two-Factor).
- Experience using source code management systems (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Demonstrated good verbal/written communication skills; including communicating with technical & non-technical clients, and with clients and staff at all organizational levels.
- Developing, executing, and automating test plans.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities and experience.
- General to strong customer service skills including the ability to constructively, diplomatically, patiently, and successfully handle customer complaints, problems, questions, conflict, and suggestions. This includes resolving tense situations with customers.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize new tools, languages, and concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to independently learn, evaluate, implement, and recommend strategic technology and industry directions.
- Working knowledge of/demonstrated ability to recommend network configurations for applications including DNS, DHCP, VLANs, load balancing, firewall rules, analyzing logs.
- Demonstrated experience with Higher Ed ERP systems (ellucian’s Banner suite), Learning Management systems (Canvas), and/or web portal systems.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize projects and work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated experience with requirements gathering, analysis, and design for complex systems.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take initiative toward resolving barriers to project completion.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing high-volume, highly interactive, mission critical systems.
- Experience developing and supporting applications using Oracle and its related tools, such as SQL Developer, SQL Plus, Forms Developer, and PL/SQL.
- Demonstrated experience developing applications in Java, Grails, or related languages.
- Experience with web and Java application server administration.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.