Detailed Job Description
Description of Position: One Assistant Professor (tenure track) position specializing in Counselor Education (Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling)
- Provide instruction to MSED and PhD students in counselor education with emphases in one or more of the following: marriage, couple, and family counseling, and group counseling. The assignments will include course instruction, supervision of practicum, and supervision of student research.
- Advise graduate students in counselor education and serve on MS and PhD degree committees.
- Maintain a record of scholarly productivity by initiating research leading to publication in national peer-reviewed journals.
- Serve as academic unit leader for the Marriage, Couple, and Family track, duties of which include coordination of practicum and internship placement, compliance with relevant professional accreditation and state licensure boards such as Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) and Illinois Division of Professional Regulation, including yearly maintenance of records and assessment, and active engagement as program-community liaison.
- Participate in professional associations and activities to enhance professional development of counselors at the local, state, and national levels.
- Seek and secure external funds to sponsor research, training, and service activities.
- Serve the public and constituencies of the department, college, and university as approved/assigned.
- A doctoral degree in counselor education and supervision. Applicants who have completed all requirements except the dissertation will be considered. If official evidence of completion of the earned doctorate requirements is not received by August 15, 2016, the position offered will be a term appointment at the rank of Instructor at a lower salary.
- Hold a license or be eligible for licensure as a LPC, LCPC, or LMFT in the state of Illinois.
- Requires evidence of the potential for scholarly research that leads to publication in nationally refereed journals.
- Preference will be given to applicants with: (a) a degree from a CACREP-accredited program, or have been employed as full-time faculty members in a counselor education program for a minimum of one full academic year before July 1, 2013. (b) post-master's experience in marriage, couple, and family counseling or group counseling or a combination thereof, (c) clinical experience and ability to contribute to other specialty areas within the program, (d) demonstrated awareness of issues affecting diverse populations, (e) membership in ACA and its affiliated organizations, and (f) experience or interest in developing distance education through on-line/hybrid formats.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had prior university teaching experience at either the undergraduate or graduate level or both.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had the experience or can demonstrate the potential for developing extramural funding for research projects.
Appointment: This is a continuing tenure-track appointment. Appointment is on a nine-month academic year basis. An additional summer appointment may be possible contingent upon funding and student demand. Progress in rank will require demonstrations of excellence in research, publication, teaching, and service. This position is contingent on available funding.
Effective Date of Employment: August 16, 2016
Deadline for Application: January 05, 2016, or until filled.
Application Procedure: A complete application must include: 1) a letter of application; 2) a curriculum vita; 3) transcript of highest degree earned; 4) three current letters of professional reference, 5) evidence of teaching skill; and 5) copies of scholarly works/publications. Address application materials to:
Send PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send hard copies to:
Search Committee - Assistant Professor (Counselor Education (Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling))
Dr. Carl R. Flowers, Interim Chair
Department of Counseling, Quantitative Methods, and Special Education
Wham 223 / Mail Code 4618
625 Wham Drive
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
web address: http://ehs.siu.edu/epse
Electronic materials will be accepted.
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.