Detailed Job Description
Description of the Position: Variable-time, non-tenure track, term position in the area of Early Childhood/Child and Family Services, with particular emphasis on instruction and clinical supervision of field experiences and internships for undergraduate students focused on related careers.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Teach undergraduate courses in the Early Childhood program area of Curriculum and Instruction, as qualified.
- Supervise practicums in approved local childcare and family service facilities maintaining formal agreements with Southern Illinois University Carbondale to provide practical experiences for undergraduate students.
- Provide assistance in the advisement of undergraduate students pursuing course work in Child and Family services, as requested.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships between SIU Carbondale faculty and administrators and key persons in the childcare and family services organizations where SIU students are placed for practical and clinical experiences.
- S/he will be expected to travel to child and family service agencies for the purpose of supervision over a wide geographical area in Southern Illinois.
Requirements of Candidates:
- The rank of Lecturer requires a doctorate. The rank of an Instructor requires a Master's degree. Required degrees must be in Early Childhood, Child Development or related field.
- Persons who apply must demonstrate:
- A broad interdisciplinary background with a specialty in Early Childhood, Child Development, or Child and Family Services.
- Successful teaching and/or work experience in the area of Early Childhood, Child Development, or Child and Family Services.
- A sound philosophy and understanding of childhood development and related issues.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience in supervision of and feedback to novices working in a professional setting.
- A strong background in human development, especially if focused on young children.
- Preference will also be given to applicants who have participated in and contributed to relevant professional organizations and societies at regional, state, and national levels.
Appointment: This is a term, non-tenure-track appointment for Spring 2016 semester year, contingent on available funds. The successful candidate may be re-appointed for future semesters contingent on programmatic needs, funding, and job performance.Application Instructions:
Effective Date of Employment: January 01, 2016
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.