Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 1/24/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Instructional Laboratory Technician (Biology Department)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 1/5/2016
The Biology Department is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Instructional Lab Technician—Science.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of the Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park-like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Under direction of an assigned supervisor, operate an instructional science laboratory stockroom and maintain equipment, tools, materials and supplies; maintain records and inventories of supplies and materials, coordinate with vendors, order and receive supplies; preparation, set up and clean up of laboratory course materials and equipment; facilitate student learning by providing assistance to faculty and students; select, hire, train, coordinate and supervise students assistants to work in science laboratories and storerooms.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
53.3% of full time, 20 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of February 17, 2016. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA ), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Biology Department, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA.
PLEASE NOTE :
We have begun a district-wide classification study of all regular, non-faculty staff positions. A classification study is a process of studying, analyzing, and describing the nature and level of work performed by employees. This classification study will ultimately produce uniform job descriptions for every employee.
The classification study will also include a compensation study that will provide information on what other employers pay employees who are performing similar duties. The District will use this information to ensure that our employees are adequately compensated.
The classification study started in November 2014 and is expected to take approximately 12-18 months to complete. As a result of this study, it is possible for the job description and/or compensation to change in this position opening.
Salary and Benefits:
• Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,031–$2,205 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 54, Steps A-C).
• Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents (prorated for employees working less than 100% of full-time).
• Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
• Voluntary life insurance.
• 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
• 10 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually. (prorated for employees working less than 100% of full-time).
• 12 days sick leave accrued annually (prorated for employees working less than 100% of full-time).
• Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
• Educational growth incentive program from $35 to $175 monthly.
• $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
• CalPERS retirement.
• Position is union affiliated with required dues.
Any combination equivalent to:
1. Education – Two years of college coursework in biology, chemistry, physics or other designated scientific discipline;
2. Experience – Two years of science–related work experience;
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for the position.
• Operate an instructional science laboratory; provide learning opportunities in a practical setting in which students perform exercises and assignments in biology, physics, chemistry and other designated science areas.
• Order, receive, store and inventory equipment, supplies and materials for laboratory experiments; issue and distribute instructional materials for student use in the science lab.
• Set up, operate and demonstrate the use of specialized equipment, instruments and apparatus typically found in community college biological and physical science laboratories; maintain equipment and schedule repairs as needed.
• Recruit, select, train and supervise assistants; schedule, assign and review work to ensure optimal use of the lab.
• Prepare and maintain a variety of records, logs and files related to equipment purchases, inventory and check–out, budget, student assistant schedules and time sheets, and chemical inventories.
• Maintain a clean and safe learning environment in the laboratory; inspect lab areas for hazardous materials spills; prepare and maintain required documentation regarding the purchase, storage and disposal of hazardous chemicals.
• Provide instructional guidance and assistance to individual and small groups of science students; reinforce concepts, techniques and practical applications presented by the instructor.
• Operate specialized equipment used in a science laboratory including measuring devices and instruments, hot plates, centrifuge, spectrophotometer, spectrograph, autoclave, microscope, incubator and other devices.
• Communicate with instructors, vendors and suppliers regarding science laboratory purchases, operations and equipment.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in positions of this class.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/713321
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.