Detailed Job Description
San Jose City College
Performs full-charge bookkeeping or paraprofessional level accounting work in reviewing, entering, and maintaining program information, claims, reports, budget, and expenditure review and analysis for program contracts, and provides financial reports on contract and program performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Updates and maintains the chart of accounts daily. Reviews account balances, preparing, and/or coordinating adjustments to budgeted line items.
2. Verifies accuracy of amounts and postings of transactions, including those posted by others. Posts and balances subsidiary ledgers such as accounts payable and receivable, and transfers data to general ledger. Traces transactions to determine discrepancies.
3. Classifies, codes and consolidates charges, rates and related financial information to an automated accounting data entry system.
4. Follows pre-established accounting controls when making accounting and budget adjustments to ledgers, balance sheets, fund accounts, and special accounts.
5. Prepares statistical and financial reports requiring skill at researching information from financial data management systems. Documents and provides detailed direct-and-indirect cost accounting for projects, classes, supplies, books.
6. Participates in preparing complex financial reports that include but are not limited to, the monthly closing of books, responsibility reporting, and special reports to funding agencies. Depending on the specific assignment, may be expected to produce balance sheets and income statements using double-entry bookkeeping.
7. Prepares invoices for accounts receivable and/or other reimbursable services. Follows-up with overdue accounts to collect outstanding balance.
8. Receipts and accounts for cash and credit card charges received in payment for services. Reconciles daily cash receipts and refunds as assigned.
9. May calculate items such as employee wages, time and work reports, materials and labor charges, supply and equipment charges. May prepare related reports.
10. Independently prepares regularly recurring reports to funding agencies in standardized formats. The reports contain financial performance data, program outcome data, and other legal, demographic, and contractual compliance requirements.
11. Manipulates data management systems to produce custom, yet recurring reports, requiring a working knowledge of the relationships of financial data.
12. Assists others in formulating the annual budget for the District. Researches, compiles, and tests the validity of information provided by departments.
13. Participates with others in making salary and benefit calculations that may include research and validation of historical payroll and contribution information.
14. Recommends processes, techniques, and ideas for optimizing compliance and reporting efficiency.
15. Performs accounting clerical data entry activities involved in the preparation, audit and maintenance of department and program accounting and purchasing transactions including follow-ups with vendors, returns, and credits. Prepares documentation for purchasing transactions and maintains on-going inventory of supplies, materials, and books.
16. Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Requires working knowledge of the techniques, practices, and terminology of financial and cost accounting, bookkeeping, and audit.
2. Requires a working knowledge of budget development and maintenance procedures.
3. Requires in-depth knowledge of the organization of clerical office procedures and methods for an accounting office.
4. Requires well-developed skills in business mathematics and record keeping.
5. Requires working knowledge of, and skill in use of spreadsheet programs and in-depth procedural knowledge of the data entry requirements for an automated fiscal system.
6. Requires sufficient reading skill to understand accounting information found in regulations and professional journals.
7. Requires sufficient human relations skill to convey technical concepts to others and achieve harmony with a small work team.
1. Requires demonstrated ability and dexterity to enter data onto standardized formats using computerized data base programs by using keyboards, basic keyboarding or 10-key skills and calculators.
2. Must be able to perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately including sums, averages, fractions, decimals, and ratios.
3. Must be able to document accounting transactions onto an automated accounting data entry system.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. The position requires completion of a high school curriculum with emphasis in bookkeeping, one year of college level course work in accounting or bookkeeping, and 3 years of experience in a production oriented record keeping capacity. Additional education may be substituted for experience and is preferred. Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic back of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$48,976 - $59,846 Annual Salary (Range 85: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.