Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 11/24/2015.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
As part of the MSU Denver Information Technology Services Desktop Administration team, the Desktop Systems Engineer is responsible for research, planning, testing, configuration, deployment and troubleshooting of enterprise desktop technologies used by over 32,000 students, faculty and staff. This position reports to the Manager of Desktop Administration.
40% Systems Administration
The Desktop Systems Engineer’s primary responsibility is the successful implementation of Systems Administration tasks, including but not limited to:
• Administration of enterprise desktop and asset management systems, including Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) and JAMF Casper.
• Development and testing of base system images for both Windows and Mac OS platforms.
• Development and testing of application packages for distribution via existing systems management infrastructure.
• Develop and maintain accurate documentation regarding systems administration activities.
• Preparation, testing and deployment of scripted commands, installations and/or configuration changes related to workstation administration.
20% Escalated Technical Support Delivery
• Serve as a Tier 3 escalation point for Windows and Mac desktop issues, assisting Tier 1 & 2 technicians with a range of complex technical issues.
• Perform root cause analysis on reported problems and provide elegant, strategic solutions.
• For the purposes of software automation, packaging and deployment and development of software tools for internal use, utilizes one or more of the following scripting languages: batch, shell, PowerShell, VB or Perl or a currently-relevant programming language such as C, C#, Java or Ruby.
20% Research and Development
• Perform in-depth research on technical solutions to existing business problems.
• Analyze requirements presented by user or peer population and propose practical solutions.
• Develop and implement comprehensive test protocols for candidate technologies.
• Complete formal system testing and report on successes or failures of candidate technologies.
• Provide recommendations to senior ITS leadership on viability of candidate solutions.
15% Project Management
• Perform structured requirements gathering and analysis to provide design and architectural recommendations.
• Develop project plans for implementation of recommended solutions.
• Independently execute project plans for assigned areas of responsibility.
• Prioritize work efforts, multi-task in a fast paced environment and provide timely and clear updates.
• Update all assigned tickets while capturing troubleshooting activities and resolution.
• Prepare and deliver regular project status updates for an executive-level audience.
5% Other Tasks as Assigned
Includes, but not limited to:
• Occasional after-hours or on-call work may be required. While infrequent, this position may be periodically asked to travel for conferences or training opportunities.
• 4+ Years work experience in a technical environment.
• Experience supporting or administering both Windows and Mac workstations.
• Demonstrated experience using one or more of the following scripting languages: batch, shell, PowerShell, VB or Perl or a currently-relevant programming language such as C, C#, Java or Ruby.
• BA or BS in Information Technology or equivalent work experience.
• Experience administering desktop workstations using SCCM, JAMF Casper or a combination thereof.
• Experience with Footprints Incident Management system.
• Strong organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving/critical thinking skills.
• Experience working in a fast-paced, team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
If applicable official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.