Detailed Job Description
Title: Education Coordinator (International Student Advisor)
Start Date: As soon as possible, term position, renewable contingent on performance and programmatic need.
- Completed baccalaureate degree at time of application;
- 3-4 years of experience working with international students;
- Familiarity with visa rules and regulations;
- Willingness to serve as a Campus Designated School Official (DSO).
- Completed master's degree or post-Bachelors study;
- Experience as a Campus DSO;
- Fluency in English and another language;
- International experience living or studying in a foreign country.
Duties: CESL seeks an individual who will serve as an advisor to counsel its international student population on all aspects of functioning successfully in a foreign country in an academic setting. The advisor will:
- assist students with academic, immigration, intercultural, and personal issues;
- assist students with the application and admissions process for degree programs at SIU Carbondale;
- ensure CESL's compliance with SEVIS and Department of Homeland Security guidelines;
- organize, schedule and conduct new student orientation sessions;
- serve as the liaison with sponsoring agencies for scholarship students;
- provide one-on-one counseling to CESL students;
- develop collaborative and integrative relationships between CESL and international offices on campus and in the region;
- coordinate Conversation Partner program;
- prepare enrollment certification letters, academic progress reports, and letters of recommendation;
- ensure CESL's compliance with FERPA guidelines;
- coordinate university class days for CESL students;
- conduct departure interviews with CESL students;
- serve on CESL's Student Services Advisory Committee and others;
- serve as CESL liaison with other university officials;
- serve as the liaison between CESL students and SIU Carbondale students;
- support the overall mission of CESL and SIU Carbondale.
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.