Detailed Job Description
Description of the Position: This is a part-time, non-tenure track, renewable term position in the area of Science Education, with particular emphasis on courses that teach methods about, and also model, how to provide quality science instruction in early childhood, elementary; and middle school classrooms. Students enrolled in these courses are primarily undergraduate preservice teachers. Position is contingent on available funding.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Teach science methods (of instruction) courses appropriate for preservice teachers seeking Illinois teacher licensure at the early childhood, elementary,and middle school levels.
- Teach selected science courses designed for graduate students, as qualified.
- Provide assistance in the advisement of undergraduate students pursuing course work in methods of teaching science at their respective licensure levels, as requested.
- Assist with tutoring services, grant writing initiatives, and curriculum development activities related to science education, as requested, and in collaboration with tenure-track science educators.
Requirements of Candidates:
- The rank of Instructor requires a Master's degree. The rank of Lecturer requires a doctorate. Degrees should have emphasis in one of more of the pure science teaching at the primary, elementary, or middle school levels. Applicants who possess a doctorate or have completed all but the dissertation in a relevant content area will be given priority in the candidate selection process. Preference will also be given to applicants who have participated in and contributed to relevant professional organizations and societies at regional, state, and national levels.
- Persons who apple must demonstrate:
- A broad interdisciplinary background with a speciality in perservice science methods courses.
- Successful teaching or work experience in the area of science education, preferably at pre-school to grade eight (P-8) levels.
- A sound philosophy and understanding of science concepts and how to teach them to children at varying ages and stages of science literacy.
- Also desirable, but not required, are:
- Experience teaching science methods courses at the undergraduate level.
- A solid background in human psychology, especially if focused on children aged 5 to 12.
- A thorough understanding of the inquiry method of teaching and learning, with an equal grasp of various media and technologies to facilitate science learning.
Appointment: This is a non-tenure-track appointment for Spring 2016 semester year. The successful candidate may be re-appointed for future semesters contingent on programmatic needs, funding, and job performance. Effective Date of Employment:
January 01, 2016 Application Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.