Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 12/17/2012.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
This academic advisor position reports to the School of Professional Studies Dean’s Office, and coordinates academic advising activities for the School with the University’s Academic Advising Center. The position will be responsible for general academic advising for students who have declared a major in the School of Professional Studies.
The primary responsibilities are to provide informed guidance and accurate information in the most efficient, accessible and comprehensive manner possible to assist students in reaching their educational, life and career goals. This position will provide general academic advising for all students who have declared majors in the School of Professional Studies (SPS). Additionally the position is responsible for the following:
1. Provide advising assistance and training for SPS faculty, including assisting them with Banner Tracking/BRM.
2. Participate in University recruitment, Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR), and other University functions related to these efforts
3. Review SPS sections of the University Catalog to ensure all curriculum changes have been accurately reflected
4. Review SPS and departmental websites to ensure they are updated in a timely manner, as well as maintain and update other online advising resources
5. Participate in advisor training sessions and professional development opportunities whenever possible
6. Assist with the collection of data for the preparation of reporting related to the assessment of advising services
7. Assist with and evaluate transfer courses and submit CAPP adjustments when applicable to ensure all majors within the School have comparable evaluations of their previous coursework
8. Work with the Admissions office to identify newly admitted SPS majors and contact them regarding orientation and advising
9. Participate in student retention initiatives
10. Work in collaboration with the Academic Advising Center, which includes attending staff meetings, occasional late night advisor rotations, and committees
11. Provide workshops on the various majors in SPS, as needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: Aviation & Aerospace Science; Criminal Justice & Criminology; Engineering Technology; Human Nutrition-Dietetics; Health Care Management; Integrative Therapeutic Practices; Recreation Professions; Hospitality, Tourism & Events; Human Performance & Sport; Athletic Training; Human Services; Nursing; Journalism; Technical Communications; or Industrial Design.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
3. Academic advising experience at an accredited institution in higher education.
4. Experience with academic advising software (SCT/Banner, SIS etc.)
5. Experience working with diverse, urban populations.
1. Master’s degree in Academic Advising or equivalent discipline
2. At least two years of academic advising experience at an accredited institution in higher education.
3. Experience with SCT/Banner
4. Experience with website programs (Dreamweaver, Terminal 4, etc.)
5. Experience working in collaboration with faculty and staff from various academic departments.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references and their contact information in order to be considered for this position.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.