Detailed Job Description
Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites applications for the position of Staff Attorney for Students' Legal Assistance.
- Provide legal advice, counsel and/or representation to SIU Carbondale fee-paying students on legal matters within the program operating guidelines
- Conduct legal research and pretrial litigation
- Draft pleadings and legal instruments
- Correspond and/or negotiate with posing counsels and/or parties
- Assist the director in the administration and function of the office and employees, including hiring, training, and supervision of law clerk interns, paralegal interns and support staff
- Establish and/or update law clerk handbook and legal brochures
- Provide presentations on legal issues to student registered organizations
- Dissemination of legal information to large numbers of SIU Carbondale students through use of news media, class and student groups, presentations, the internet (web page), and information packets and/or brochures distribution
- Absolute confidentiality of client information is required
- Attend and complete annual education courses to maintain their law licenses
- Work with and understand the structure of the university and other units of state and local government
- Communicate effectively in the classroom as well as through various media
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree, Juris Doctor Degree from accredited Law School, admission to Illinois Bar, and two years' experience in the practice of law required. Courtroom advocacy skills, experience in landlord tenant, criminal, consumer, family law, civil procedure, and administrative law preferred. Application Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.