Detailed Job Description
Description of Position: This is a continuing, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor position with joint appointment in the College of Education and Human Services and the College of Science at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The tenure home will be in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction within the College of Education and Human Services. Appointment is on a nine-month academic year basis. An additional summer session appointment may be possible. Progress in rank will require demonstration of productivity in research and publication, teaching, and service.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Provide leadership for the science education program and be the lead curricular liaison between the College of Science and the College of Education and Human Services;
- Provide leadership for the development and administration of the academic degrees and licensure programs in science education;
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses including a course in methods of science teaching at the middle and. high school levels;
- Conduct research resulting in publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Establish a competitively-funded education and training program in science education;
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate students including serving on thesis and dissertation committees;
- Participate in and develop outreach programs;
- Engage in curriculum development;
- Serve the public and constituencies of the departments, colleges and university; and
- Provide significant synergy for collaboration within and among departments in both Colleges.
Required Qualifications for Assistant Professor:
- An earned doctorate in science teacher education with bachelor's or master's degree in a life science or physical sciences discipline; or
- An earned doctorate in the life science or physical sciences with a B.S.Ed./M.S.Ed./MAT degree.
Required Qualifications for Associate Professor:
- All of the requirements for the Assistant Professor level, plus
- Substantial evidence supporting excellence in teaching, professional service, and scholarly productivity commensurate with academic appointment at the rank of Associate Professor.
Preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate:
- Experience in developing and teaching undergraduate and graduate courses; or
- Have at least two years experience leading grant-funded STEM education/training programs.
Effective Date: To begin January 1, 2016.Application Instructions:
Use Institution Website
button to the right of this job description, then follow instructions on the jobpage at SIU-Carbondale's website.
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.