Detailed Job Description
Responsible for the overall safety and security of one or more campuses, including the deployment of all personnel and other resources necessary to provide a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and guests. Responsible for 24 hour coverage of college resources, and maintains a strong working relationship with local first responder agencies (police, fire and emergency operations).
West CampusDepartment: Campus Security ServicesSalary:$42,645 - $60,000 per year
Essential Job Functions
1. Manages a 24/7 safety and security operation to protect millions of dollars of facilities, equipment, and thousands of students, employees and guests.
2. Responsible for the deployment and scheduling of staff to best meet the college's objective to provide a safe and secure environment. This includes authorization of all vacations, sick leave, and personal requests for leave on a consistent basis.
3. Responsible for the operation and monitoring of all security systems, including: surveillance cameras, emergency phones, and emergency response systems.
4. Collaborates closely with campus leadership and constituents to review, develop, and implement emergency plans specific to each building and campus under their direction.
5. Monitors and investigates all incident and accident reports, and helps determine the appropriate course of action and possible changes in practices or procedures to enhance safety and security. This may involve preparing extracts and watermarking of archived evidence.
6. Develops and oversees a budget for one or more campuses that provides for the efficient and effective operation of security services. Monitors expenditures and makes adjustments as necessary.
7. Works particularly close with the Superintendent of Plant Operations to help identify areas of risk and appropriate actions.
8. Conducts evaluations of assigned security supervisors and reviews the evaluations of security officers and staff.
9. Participates in the planning of special events occurring at assigned site(s) to help ensure appropriate security resources are in place.
10. Develops and regularly provides training programs, and ensures that the appropriate personnel are trained and regularly refreshed to be prepared to perform in a variety of emergency situations.
11. Plays a key role in the Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT) and performs the security responsibilities of the team
12. Ensures compliance with the Clery Act and related laws, policies, and regulations.
13. May be responsible for college-wide access control program; which helps reduce asset losses and provides documented access and user card tracking and issuance. Performs database maintenance and hardware validations.
14. Fulfills all reporting obligations of an identified "Administrator" in the Valencia College policy on Child Abuse Reporting (Policy: 6Hx28:10-09).
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution majoring in criminal justice or a related field of study or equivalent [preferred].
2. Significant and progressively responsible command management experience in the field of corrections, military, law enforcement, or a combination thereof [required].
3. Multi-site supervisory experience.
4. Certificates in NIMS and ICS to include: 100,200, 300, 400 and COOP 547,548 and HSEEP.
5. Experience with electronic security and surveillance systems to include CCTV, proximity readers, biometrics, and industry trends.
6. Security or related training certificate that meets or exceeds security requirements under Florida Statute 493-5203 (Class D) [required].
7. Valid Florida driver's license [required].
8. The College anticipates that the person filling this position will need to be available throughout the workday and, on some occasions, after regular work hours. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent is expected to be available by cell phone and is required to provide their current cell phone number to the Human Resources Department and to their immediate supervisor.
9. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
10. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervising security operations.
2. Knowledge of the principles and practices of emergency planning.
3. Knowledge of federal and state laws related to security operations.
4. Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervising employees.
5. Skill in effectively communicating orally and in writing.
6. Skill in the use of a personal computer, general office software, and electronic security and surveillance systems.
7. Ability to investigate and research related information and prepare administrative and incident reports.
8. Ability to maintain a budget and plan appropriately for current and future operational needs.
9. Ability to develop, prepare, and deliver related training programs to diverse campus audiences.
10. Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include early mornings, evenings, and weekends, as needed.
11. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$42,645 - $60,000 per yearClosing Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7pm EST
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.