Detailed Job Description
Synopsis of Role:
The Systems Engineer is responsible for assessing system and storage requirements for implementing and maintaining hardware, software and telecommunications solutions to provide required infrastructure and service levels in mixed Windows/Linux environment. This position is responsible for maintaining, documenting, debugging and implementing hardware, software and systems solutions across multiple platforms and architectures to support IT requirements. The incumbent is responsible reviewing and troubleshooting the installation of hardware and implementation of layered software solutions and products to ensure that they meet the company requirements. The systems Engineer is responsible for communication, collaboration and support of Help Desk, engineering staff, development team and management as required. This position is in a team environment supporting applications development and production systems operations, including backup/recovery strategies, implementation and maintenance of production servers which includes Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Active Directory, Microsoft CRM, Sharepoint and Microstrategy. The incumbent is responsible for project implementation, capacity planning and engineering new solutions to provide for optimal system performance. This position works closely with developers on developing infrastructure and system architecture to support company needs. Additionally, this position installs, configures and maintains organization's network and Windows 200X-based servers and file storage servers. The systems Engineer works in a quality service approach within the work area to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, system integrity, performance and security. Also, the systems Engineer works with other team members to maintain network and server infrastructure, including routers, switches, network appliances (load balancers, firewalls, etc.), Windows servers and security infrastructure.
- Provides onsite and remote support for production enterprise and lower environments located in Charles Town, WV, Manassas, VA, and co-location facility in Virginia, as well as remote support for our disaster recovery site.
- Troubleshoots various server and storage environments when issues arise and provide resolutions.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues within core infrastructure applications and services to ensure service levels are met.
- Implements new hardware and software projects, providing documentation and procedures based on functionality of the environment.
- Ensures 24x7x365 availability for identified internal mission critical server, application and storage services.
- Assists in establishing performance and maintaining standards, policies and procedures.
- Researches, designs and recommends new technology systems and solutions.
- Troubleshoots storage systems as needed to maintain operational integrity and coordinate efforts with vendors for upgrades and maintenance.
- Installs, maintains, and trouble shoots the database system.
- Backup/recovery and archiving.
- Provides periodic reports on the performance, stability, scalability and suitability of all managed production systems.
- Provides technical guidance and mentoring to less senior members of the staff.
- Participates in the change management process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge Active Directory, Group Policy, SCCM, Windows 2008/2012 Server, SQL Server 2005/2008/2012, IIS, Sharepoint and Exchange administration.
- Experience with Web security and load balancers.
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot network hardware problems, utilize network analyzers and test equipment, and understand the relationship between the network and production applications.
- Knowledge of installation, configuration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, performance tuning and security of Microsoft Servers.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task on a daily basis.
- Ability to be organized, detail oriented and produce accurate work.
- Ability to design and generate creative solutions.
- Must be a team player.
- Must have a strong work ethic.
- Must be professional and friendly.
- Must be dependable and trustworthy.
- Ability to communicate effectively through verbal and written English via multiple online and electronic formats.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a mixed Microsoft/Linux environment with at least three years directly involved in mid – large size environments.
- Experience with EMC SAN and complex storage environments with at least three years directly involved in supporting enterprise storage needs.
- Experience with VMWare and Sharepoint required.
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory and Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) required.
- Experience with PowerShell scripting and Group Policy creation and maintenance preferred.
- Experience with network management, application management and database tools preferred.
- Experience with one or more of the following: LAN/WAN/VPN and remote network technologies and protocols (such as, but not limited to, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, 802.11H.233, Ethernet and HTML) Cisco routers, hubs, and switches preferred.
- Experience with SAN and Dell platform preferred.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within Systems Administration.
- Preferred certifications: MSCE, A+, I-NET+, CCNA.
- Project Management skills using Microsoft Project with certifications, such as PMP desired.