Detailed Job Description
Under the direction of the Campus Director of Advising, provides support for the design, implementation and evaluation of advising systems and strategies. Provides campus-based leadership and supervision for advising staff. Supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of advising curriculum designed to support the first year advising experience and beyond.
East and West Campus Department: Student Services Degree Requirement:Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution (Preferably in student personnel, guidance/counseling, student services, higher education administration or closely related field)
Essential Job Functions
1. Provides assistance to the Campus Director of Advising in the integration of developmental advising that involves students, advisors, and faculty.
2. Works in partnership with Campus Director of Advising in hiring, supervising, and training advising staff under the LifeMap Developmental Advising model.
3. Supports the implementation of advising-related technology.
4. Initiates, plans and make recommendations concerning advisor training to ensure continuous improvement in student learning.
5. Collaborates with Campus Director of Advising in the vision for the advising curriculum (academic and career), to include developmental advising approaches that will enhance the educational development of all students and lead to increased student completion.
6. Produces reports and data needed to support the evaluation and assessment of academic and career advising strategies.
7. Responsible for overseeing the weekly schedule for advising staff to ensure student advising needs are being met.
8. Provides academic advisement to students as needed.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution [Required] preferably in student personnel, guidance/counseling, student services, higher education administration or closely related field.
2. Experience in academic advising, career advising or educational counseling [Preferred].
3. Experience in higher education, preferably at a public institution and/or community college serving a diverse student population.
4. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of community college career and academic programs.
2. Knowledge of strategies and methodologies related to academic advising, career advising and curriculum development.
3. Skill in the use of personal computers and related office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
4. Skill in effectively communicating, interpersonally, orally, in writing, and through group facilitation.
5. Ability to organize work, prioritize effectively, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
6. Ability to research, analyze, and interpret information to make valid decisions, resolve problems, and strategically plan for future needs.
7. Ability to lead, supervise, and develop assigned staff.
8. Ability to prepare related reports, presentations, and training.
9. Ability to work in a collaborative and team environment.
10. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$42,645 - $53,726 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.