Detailed Job Description
Under general supervision, this position maintains existing copper and fiber infrastructure for telecomm/data circuits. Installs new communications cables when needed. Coordinates and performs daily telecomm and network requests for service. Assists in the installation, configuration and troubleshooting of network switches, UPSs and phones. Checks status of network and telecommunication equipment daily.
Additional Description of Duties:
Cable Plant Management:
- Monitor and maintain the existing Bentley University cabling infrastructure including all fiber and copper cables as well as patch panels and modular wall jacks. Work with the network and telecomm managers to ensure all necessary cable upgrades and modifications coordinated, scheduled and completed. Install and terminate cables as required.
Switches, Phones and UPS:
- Upgrade or install new switches, phones and UPSs as required.
- Make adjustments, additions or deletions to switch policies to maintain maximum performance, reliability and security.
- Configure and maintain VOIP equipment.
- VLAN configuration and 802.1q tagging/trunking
Troubleshooting and Resolution.
- Troubleshoot basic user network connectivity using tools such as ping and trace route. Identify and repair cable plant issues. Provide initial assessment of HEAT tickets and coordinate with the appropriate network/telecomm resources as necessary.
High School degree or equivalent combination of training and experience plus 2-4 years working in support of an Enterprise Local Area Network (or AA/AS degree plus 1-3 years). Must have a solid understanding of data and voice cabling. Experience with network technologies such as 1 GB and 10 GB Ethernet, VLANs, 802.1q VLAN trunking. Must be proficient with network diagnostic equipment such as Fluke Networks Link Runner Fluke Networks IntelliTonePro, and other testing hardware and software. A solid understanding of Windows operating systems as well as working knowledge of MAC's and mobile OS is needed in troubleshooting client/server problems. Some sort of low-voltage certification preferred. Comfortable multi-tasking without losing focus. Ability to balance project and ticket-based tasks.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.