Detailed Job Description
Provides personalized academic and transfer advising to degree seeking students. Will work closely with students to develop educational, career, and financial aid plans designed to ensure that students make seamless, consistent progression toward achieving educational and transfer goals.
Campuses - Winter Park, West, Osceola, and East Department: Student Services Degree Requirement: Bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution
Essential Job Functions
1. Assist students in choosing an academic program aligned with their life, career, and educational goals, interests, and strengths.
2. Assist students in the development of an education plan that includes all courses needed to earn their selected degree at Valencia and successfully prepare for transfer. Works with students to develop an educational plan, review degree audits and financial aid plans, and monitor successful program progress.
3. Assist students in developing a transfer plan, which includes selecting an intended academic program and transfer institution as well understanding the requirements for admission to both the transfer institution and academic program.
4. Provides developmental advising to students in individual and/or group settings, including discussions of life, career and educational goals, educational planning, review of required testing and/or college/career inventories, and course selection in accordance with the LifeMap system.
5. Provides students with in-depth information on college policies and support services relevant to their academic progress (i.e. graduation requirements, transfer information, counseling, etc.).
6. Refers students to appropriate resources to support their academic success (i.e. financial aid, career center, tutoring center and student development programs, etc.).
7. Assist students in identifying and applying academic and personal behaviors needed to succeed in college.
8. Participates in the design and implementation of advising curriculum and programs designed to maximize degree completion and transferability.
9. Works with advising leadership, faculty and advising staff to identify barriers to learning and persistence. Recommends approaches to overcome barriers to enhance student success.
10. Serves as a point of contact for assigned academic program(s) and transfer plan(s).
11. Collects and reports data related to student success, including progress towards degree and transfer readiness.
12. Participates in college, state, and regional professional development activities and meetings to enhance effectiveness of advising interventions.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree, in a discipline deemed appropriate by the hiring authority, from a regionally accredited institution [required].
2. Experience working students in a related educational setting.
3. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
4. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Ability to assess student's developmental needs and translate theory into practice.
2. Ability to independently initiate, develop, and implement advising programs.
3. Ability to work efficiently and accurately without close supervision in a flexible and fast-paced environment while exercising reason, sound judgment, and discretion.
4. Ability to proficiently use Microsoft Office Products in a Windows environment.
5. Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to provide authentic person-centered advising to students.
6. Knowledge of college’s educational policies and graduation requirements.
7. Ability to research the educational policies and graduation requirements of any college or university.
8. Ability to collaborate with other departments in order to resolve student issues to full resolution.
9. Ability to continuously learn, interpret and explain new knowledge regarding changes and advancements in federal, state, college policies and regulations and technology.
10. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$36,829 - $46,729 per year
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.