Detailed Job Description
Provides initial contact services for all students and potential students. Provides information to students at all levels regarding the enrollment process.
Osceola CampusDepartment: Dean of Students
Essential Job Functions
1. Provides in-depth knowledge of education policies and programs.
2. Receives applications and supporting documentation including transcripts, residency information, and other pertinent documents including those for non-immigrant student admission.
3. Reviews high school transcripts, college transcripts, and/or standardized test scores (I.e., SAT, ACT) information to determine need for assessment testing and placement.
4. Explains college assessments.
5. Provides financial assistance information including Federal Financial Aid application procedures, financial aid award status, and scholarship information.
6. Determines students' educational needs for support services and refers as necessary to home and district offices. Makes appropriate referrals to academic departments, tutoring services, counseling, Office for Student with Disabilities and Career Development Services.
7. Provides academic advising regarding program requirements and transfer processes.
8. Collaborates with the Graduation Office to assist students as needed with progression toward degree.
9. Support Student Success courses by providing students with general academic advising utilizing the LifeMap tools in Atlas, the Student Handbook, and the Developmental Advising techniques.
10. Serve on various college wide committees and advisory boards as assigned.
11. Provides program development and implementation for student affairs programs and projects to support student learning and development (i.e. orientation, peer educators, atlas support, post secondary transition, college nights, road rules, and other projects as needed).
12. Collaborates with the Admissions departments on special projects as assigned.
13. Access, inputs, and retrieves data from a computer.
14. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution [preferred].
2. Experience working with students in an educational setting.
3. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
4. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accomodation.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
1. Knowledge of college admissions and records procedures policies (including FERPA and student confidentiality).
2. General knowledge of financial aid processes.
3. Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
4. Computer skills proficiency in a Windows environment.
5. Ability to work in a flexible and fast-paced environment; reason and exercise judgment and discretion; and work efficiently and accurately without close supervision.
6. Ability to work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
$17.60 per hour
Equal Employment and Preference-Eligibility
Valencia College provides equal opportunity for equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all individuals as it relates to admission to the College or to programs, any aid, benefit, or service to students or wages and other terms, conditions or privileges of employment, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules and regulations.
Valencia College extends preference in employment for eligible veterans in accordance to Florida State Statute 295.07.
Please press the apply button in the task box on the right column of this page to proceed and be redirected to the position announcement for this position on Valencia College’s website.